Is Coldspring finished now?

Michael Kear

Mar 19, 2015, 10:10:30 PM3/19/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com

An interesting question arose on the CF-Talk list today …  I thought I’d ask the same question here too – might get a more educated response about it …

Here’s Dean Lawrence’s question:

[quote]

I've been using ColdSpring for a good number of years and it is pretty much
a part of almost every site that I have developed. When trying to access
http://coldspringframework.org/ to look at the docs, I get a service
unavailable error. It was like this when I tried to access it about a month
ago as well. Is the site defunct?

I know that the project has not been worked on for some time, so my
question is, should I consider migrating my sites to another dependency
injection solution? If so, which would you suggest? I've briefly looked at
Wirebox and DI/1, but have never put either one into play. Also, what kind
of work am I looking at to convert my existing sites? The thought of doing
this gives me heartburn, but I don't want to have to scramble if some
future CF or Java update breaks ColdSpring.

[/quote]

I’m in the same boat.  I have Coldspring on almost all of my sites, and I’d rather not have a sudden problem with a future upgrade force me to have to scramble to get all my sites working –  if I’m going to have to change the basic architecture of my sites, I’d rather do it on an orderly basis.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com

Dan Wilson

Mar 20, 2015, 8:24:39 AM3/20/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
The docs are down? Interesting. If someone would be able to get me in touch with whomever has the docs, I would be glad to host them.

I'm heavily invested in ColdSpring and it suits my purposes just fine. So I see no need to transition away to another engine just because the docs are down.

DW

Thursday, March 19, 2015 10:09 PM

Nolan Erck

Mar 20, 2015, 8:09:23 PM3/20/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Mark Mandel was hosting the docs on his server, last I recall.  He used to jokingly complain about that server being temperamental and that he'd have to reboot it periodically.

I just shot Mark a msg on Twitter to see if he has any updated info.  (Not that I have any problem with Dan hosting the files -- I too am invested in ColdSpring and would like the docs/project to have a good home.)

-Nolan

Mark Mandel

Mar 20, 2015, 9:02:53 PM3/20/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
So the site is actually on a server run by Adam Lehman :) It's a CF10 server that never had a serial, so for whatever reason it crashes all the time.  I can log in at any time and get the cfml files.

The docs for CS2 where on a trac site that SourceForge shut down without any prior notification (yay!) I have that as a backup (sql + attachments), but that's about it.

To make things even more fun, the domain is owned by a guy named Jacob Reider, and I have no direct control over it.

Does that help?

Mark

Nolan Erck

Mar 20, 2015, 9:33:57 PM3/20/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification, Mark. That is -much- more of a complicated answer than I was expecting. :)

-Nolan

Mark Drew

Mar 21, 2015, 3:13:40 AM3/21/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Time to move it to GitHub?

Mark Drew
- Sent by typing with my thumbs.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 4:24 AM, Dan Wilson <sipa...@gmail.com> wrote:
The docs are down? Interesting. If someone would be able to get me in touch with whomever has the docs, I would be glad to host them.

I'm heavily invested in ColdSpring and it suits my purposes just fine. So I see no need to transition away to another engine just because the docs are down.

DW

<compose-unknown-contact.jpg>

Dan Wilson

Mar 21, 2015, 7:13:05 PM3/21/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
    Yeah, that might be the right thing to do. I wonder what it would take?

Saturday, March 21, 2015 3:13 AM
Time to move it to GitHub?

Mark Drew
- Sent by typing with my thumbs.

On 21 Mar 2015, at 01:33, Nolan Erck <nolan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Friday, March 20, 2015 9:33 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Mark. That is -much- more of a complicated answer than I was expecting. :)

-Nolan

Friday, March 20, 2015 9:02 PM
So the site is actually on a server run by Adam Lehman :) It's a CF10 server that never had a serial, so for whatever reason it crashes all the time.  I can log in at any time and get the cfml files.

The docs for CS2 where on a trac site that SourceForge shut down without any prior notification (yay!) I have that as a backup (sql + attachments), but that's about it.

To make things even more fun, the domain is owned by a guy named Jacob Reider, and I have no direct control over it.

Does that help?

Mark
Friday, March 20, 2015 8:09 PM
Mark Mandel was hosting the docs on his server, last I recall.  He used to jokingly complain about that server being temperamental and that he'd have to reboot it periodically.

I just shot Mark a msg on Twitter to see if he has any updated info.  (Not that I have any problem with Dan hosting the files -- I too am invested in ColdSpring and would like the docs/project to have a good home.)

-Nolan

Friday, March 20, 2015 8:24 AM

Mark Mandel

Mar 21, 2015, 7:18:38 PM3/21/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
So there is CS2 on Github here:

But that doesn't really help.

Probably makes sense to have a coldspring organisation (happy to set that up), and add those people who are keep to be involved. We can then move the CS2 repo over there, and potentially have a repo for CS 1.2 if that's what people want as well.

I can reboot the CS server if we want to take a html mirror of the site and get that up on a github page somewhere.

I have the email of the domain owner from whois (and I think I've been in contact with him in the past, so I can look that up too).

Happy to take direction from those invested in it however - I'm not doing anything with it these days.

Mark

Dan Wilson

Mar 22, 2015, 8:40:36 AM3/22/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be best to move CS 1.2 to Github so we can put it in the hands of the community. That way, the repo will be on GitHub, and can be forked as appropriate.

Is there a straightforward way to crawling the HTML on coldspringframework.org to move it to github?

DW

Saturday, March 21, 2015 7:18 PM
So there is CS2 on Github here:

But that doesn't really help.

Probably makes sense to have a coldspring organisation (happy to set that up), and add those people who are keep to be involved. We can then move the CS2 repo over there, and potentially have a repo for CS 1.2 if that's what people want as well.

I can reboot the CS server if we want to take a html mirror of the site and get that up on a github page somewhere.

I have the email of the domain owner from whois (and I think I've been in contact with him in the past, so I can look that up too).

Happy to take direction from those invested in it however - I'm not doing anything with it these days.

Mark

Saturday, March 21, 2015 7:13 PM

Mark Mandel

Mar 22, 2015, 8:09:56 PM3/22/15
On 22 March 2015 at 23:40, Dan Wilson <sipa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it would be best to move CS 1.2 to Github so we can put it in the hands of the community. That way, the repo will be on GitHub, and can be forked as appropriate.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Is there a straightforward way to crawling the HTML on coldspringframework.org to move it to github?

`wget -mirror` seems easy enough. Unless someone wants to lift the html out of the cfml (turn it into a jekyll site?)

Dan Wilson

Mar 22, 2015, 9:23:27 PM3/22/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I'd prefer a simple approach. Once it's on Github, we can improve as the community sees fits from there.

Really, ColdSpring 1.2 is so stable, all that is needed is a code repo and the docs.

DW

Sunday, March 22, 2015 8:09 PM
Sunday, March 22, 2015 8:40 AM
I think it would be best to move CS 1.2 to Github so we can put it in the hands of the community. That way, the repo will be on GitHub, and can be forked as appropriate.

Is there a straightforward way to crawling the HTML on coldspringframework.org to move it to github?

DW

Chris Blackwell

Mar 24, 2015, 12:38:11 PM3/24/15
to coldspring-users
I'd de happy to contribute, we're using coldspring 2 for all our projects.
If the code was properly relocated to github I think that'd be a great move.

Mark Mandel

Mar 25, 2015, 1:56:45 AM3/25/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like this is the plan:
  1. I'll(?) create a new open source org for coldspring (coldspring is already taken - coldspringfw?, coldspringframework?)
  2. I'll add whomever wants to participate to the org
  3. I'll fork my cs2 repo there and call it 'coldspring2'
  4. Create a repository for 'coldspring1' and populate that with the source code (volunteer?)
  5. Start a coldspringframework website repository (volunteer?) and populate it with a scrape of the current live site.
  6. We can track down the current domain owner, and get that ported to the github account.
  7. Port the CS2 trac wiki into github. I'm sure this could be automated with some code / imported into trac wiki files via a local Gollum instance (or something). (Again, volunteer?)
  8. I have a few extra pieces of CS2 documentation I started in open office, if someone wants to port them into the github wiki too, that would work as well.
If anyone needs the coldspring site live to do any of these steps, let me know, and I'll reboot it so it's live for a few hours.

How does that sound to everyone?

Mark

Matthew Darby

Mar 25, 2015, 4:01:28 PM3/25/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for bringing this up.  I am leaving a project that heavily uses ColdSpring and I would like to make sure that that the developers after me will have the documentation available.

Dave Ross

Mar 25, 2015, 4:36:40 PM3/25/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com

This thread makes me kinda sad (even if I haven't touched CF code in years). Hope everyone is well.

Tom Chiverton

Apr 2, 2015, 9:05:29 AM4/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I was kinda looking forward to trying something like DI/1 for my next project, just to see how it compares to ColdSpring that we have scattered all over our current sites.
Tom

Nolan Erck

Jul 2, 2015, 6:17:48 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Circling back on this thread.  Has anyone been able to make progress on getting momentum going on ColdSpring again? What can I do to help?

(I've got several new projects I'm starting soon and plan to use Coldspring for my DI needs instead of the alternatives -- for this particular client, I find the "XML blueprint" is beneficial.)

Thanks,
Nolan

Mark Mandel

Jul 2, 2015, 6:26:54 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I put forward a plan, and noone seemed very interested in helping, so since I was in the process of moving half way around the world, I left down the list of my priorities.

Happy to pick it up again if people want to lend a hand.

Mark

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 2, 2015, 6:34:16 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dave... remember when ColdSpring 0.* was still in CVS on SourceForge? LOL wow

I had commit privs on that repo, too... I implemented the import function in the XML.

I wonder what I'd do differently now? lol...
Jared Rypka-Hauer
dev.Objective() - Developing Apps, Developing Skills, Developing Community
May 12-15, 2015, Radisson Blu Mall of America
Bloomington, MN

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 2, 2015, 6:38:27 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Now that I'm doing CFML on several projects at once I can commit to helping out here and there again.

I miss contributing to an OSS community project... so yeah.

Do we have a task list? If not I suggest Trello. It works great for dev.Objective(), after a small learning curve on how to use their particular task list paradigm.

/j

Nolan Erck

Jul 2, 2015, 6:42:43 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Yes, I'd like to see this picked up and I'm happy to help with whatever makes sense.

Thanks!
-Nolan

Mark Mandel

Jul 2, 2015, 6:46:16 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
This was the original plan, happy to take adjustments if people have better ideas.

Happy to adjust as neccessary.  I really don't do any CFML anymore, but happy to see this project continue on.

[...]

Nolan Erck

Jul 2, 2015, 6:55:09 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the plan listed below...

1. I like "coldspringframework" over "coldspringfw" -- but I'm verbose like that so feel free to outvote me. :)

-nolan

Mark Mandel

Jul 2, 2015, 6:57:10 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
We could also start up a #coldspring channel on the cfml slack community too

Mark

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 2, 2015, 6:59:38 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I prefer coldspringframework too... it's longer but it's far more descriptive. :)

Mark Mandel

Jul 2, 2015, 6:59:38 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
...and I just did it. Could be a nice place to coordinate efforts.

Mark

Mark Mandel

Jul 2, 2015, 7:29:26 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
So we have an organisation now -

and I rebooted the server to get the logo off of it - http://www.coldspringframework.org/

So next step - get the cs1.0 and cs2.0 codebases up there? What should the repositories be called?

Mark

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 2, 2015, 7:46:29 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
is is possible to put them under one repo?

Like
ColdSpring/
   v1/
   v2/
...etc...?

Either that or make ColdSpring1 and ColdSpring2...

We are switching to Git in the next couple weeks at work... until then I don't have a WHOLE lot of experience working with it so I don't know if it's preferable to check out parts of one project rather than two separate repositories.

/j

Nolan Erck

Jul 2, 2015, 7:53:16 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I was going to suggest the same thing -- I don't see a benefit to 2 repos, I think different branches for each version is enough.  Though there are noticeable differences in version 1 and 2, that's no different than, say, Framework-1 versions 2 and 3.  Yes?  Thoughts?

Along the lines of what Jared said, I've never used Slack before.  So please bear with me while I sort that out. :)

-nolan

Mark Mandel

Jul 2, 2015, 8:57:19 PM7/2/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I suggest separate repos, simply because it means each can be organised (and actually led) by different people. If someone finds a issue with v1, they submit a PR to that repo. If it's v2, it's the new repo, it means the PRs and issues don't get intermingled.

It's more of a management thing than anything else.

Although the whole plan (was) to have people migrate from v1 to v2, so many it should be "coldspringv1" for the old version and "coldspring" for the new one.

This is exacly how Angular deals with it -

Mark

Nolan Erck

Jul 3, 2015, 2:33:04 PM7/3/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough.  Two repos is fine by me if that's what you'd prefer, I was just curious.

Thoughts on using "coldspring2" instead of just "coldspring" for the 2nd repo? If a v3 comes out, we've already got a consistent naming scheme in place, and it's more obvious at first glance which is the later version.

2 cents.

-Nolan

Mark Mandel

Jul 3, 2015, 9:06:59 PM7/3/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
The reason for the seperate repo is because Coldspring2 was a rewrite and it broke some backward comparability. Ideally, that shouldn't need to happen again, hence me leaning more towards the new on just being "coldspring". Maybe the old one should be "coldspring-classic" ?

Mark

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 3, 2015, 9:23:40 PM7/3/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I'm cool with 2 repositories, but the whole user base is used to the terminology of CS1 and CS2 and it doesn't seem at all necessary to change that... it will just confuse people.

If we are going with the dual-repo plan (which seems to be the case) I would prefer to see them either CS1 and CS2 or ColdSpring1 and ColdSpring2. If we really do ever do CS3 we can either create a new repo and start from scratch or fork CS2 into CS3.

Or am I missing the idea of some benefit to CS and CS-Classic? ;)

/j

Sent from my iPhone

Mark Mandel

Jul 3, 2015, 9:28:15 PM7/3/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
A new repo per version doesn't make sense to me, if we no longer need to do a rewrite, so having a new repo for CS3 seems like overkill. No other project does this - unless you can find an example?

I get what you are saying with the community understanding the different. Again I refer to what happened with Angular, since it's a similar scenario. They clearly mark in the README which repository is for version 2 and which is the older version, so there is little confusion. I feel we could do the same.

Now I'm leaning more towards a "coldspring1" repository for the previous version and a "coldspring" repository for future work.

How does that work for you?

Mark

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 4, 2015, 1:20:01 PM7/4/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I can live with it. :)

Sent from my iPhone

Mark Mandel

Jul 5, 2015, 2:42:43 PM7/5/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I'm open to suggestions still, if someone thinks there is a better way :)

Mark

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 7, 2015, 3:00:37 PM7/7/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I think it sounds fine to me... let's get the stuff up on G'hub (reminds me of G'Hoole lol) and get some people in the project and all that. ;)

What's next on the agenda? I'm not good at tracking lots of tasks in my head, so remind me what's next and let me know if there's aught that I can do to facilitate?

Thanks!

/j

Mark Mandel

Jul 7, 2015, 7:33:01 PM7/7/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Jared,

You had the idea of a trello board to manage these tasks - did you want to set one up, and take the list I posted before and get it all entered?

Mark

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 7, 2015, 8:44:34 PM7/7/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I can do that tonight...

Can I get the email addresses from people who want to be on the Trello board? Or I can take the email addies from here, but I need to know who wants to be added.

Thanks,

Mark Mandel

Jul 8, 2015, 8:14:00 AM7/8/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com

Me please :)

Sent from my mobile doohickey

Mark Drew

Jul 8, 2015, 8:14:40 AM7/8/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Me too

MD

8 July 2015 01:44
I can do that tonight...

Can I get the email addresses from people who want to be on the Trello board? Or I can take the email addies from here, but I need to know who wants to be added.

Thanks,

Jared Rypka-Hauer
dev.Objective() - Developing Apps, Developing Skills, Developing Community
May 12-15, 2015, Radisson Blu Mall of America
Bloomington, MN
8 July 2015 00:32
Jared,

You had the idea of a trello board to manage these tasks - did you want to set one up, and take the list I posted before and get it all entered?

Mark
5 July 2015 19:42
I'm open to suggestions still, if someone thinks there is a better way :)

Mark
4 July 2015 18:19
I can live with it. :)

Sent from my iPhone

4 July 2015 02:27
A new repo per version doesn't make sense to me, if we no longer need to do a rewrite, so having a new repo for CS3 seems like overkill. No other project does this - unless you can find an example?

I get what you are saying with the community understanding the different. Again I refer to what happened with Angular, since it's a similar scenario. They clearly mark in the README which repository is for version 2 and which is the older version, so there is little confusion. I feel we could do the same.

Now I'm leaning more towards a "coldspring1" repository for the previous version and a "coldspring" repository for future work.

How does that work for you?

Mark

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 8, 2015, 12:57:33 PM7/8/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
OK. Is that it? Really? lol Come on people! :)

I will create the organization and lists today.

Chris Blackwell

Jul 8, 2015, 1:13:16 PM7/8/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com

Sign me up pls

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 8, 2015, 1:50:41 PM7/8/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
So if you guys have an alternative email address you want me to use please specify it in your note, otherwise I'll just grab it off the group.

Mark Mandel

Jul 9, 2015, 11:04:30 AM7/9/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

At Gophercon for the next couple of days, so I'll be a bit slow in getting the first pieces done.

Mark

Nolan Erck

Jul 9, 2015, 1:07:16 PM7/9/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Me please. :)

-nolan

Mark Mandel

Jul 9, 2015, 1:14:32 PM7/9/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to make the trello board read-only public?

So people can see what is going on?

Mark

Doug Boude

Jul 9, 2015, 5:11:16 PM7/9/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Me too, please. :) Still a fan, and work on apps that utilize CS.

Doug

Jared Rypka-Hauer

Jul 9, 2015, 5:17:34 PM7/9/15
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com