Fw: Dr. John Coffee and AVA Update

Terry Hess

May 15, 2012, 6:29:54 PM5/15/12
to tlhe...@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:07 PM
Subject: Dr. John Coffee and AVA Update

Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:17 PM

Just in case you haven't heard, received this e-mail today from AVA Officers that John Coffee died a week ago. John had suffered a fall some weeks ago, and his health deteriorated fast. He was "Mr. AVA" for many decades, and edited the FARE BOX since before I was born, and I'm 61! Pretty amazing run.   Jerry Schaeper Jr.
Ladies and Gentlemen of the AVA,
               It is my sad duty to tell you that John Coffee died at 9:10 PM last Tuesday,  May 8, 2012. We are receiving our information second-hand from a previous student of John's, who drove with John to several Conventions, so we are in the loop but slowly. Dr. John M. Coffee, Jr., age 83, will be cremated, and memorial services are tentatively being planned for some time in June. We assume they will involve Emerson University where Dr. Coffee taught for many years. We will have our own memorial service at 2:00 PM Saturday July 14, at our AVA Convention in Kennebunkport. We planned this Maine convention so John could attend, but sadly it will have to be only his memory that will be with us.
               I am calling everyone I can to verify your membership information for the upcoming 2012 edition of the AVA Membership Roster. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Bob Schneider, our current President, will take over the editing of the Fare Box, and a memorial tribute issue is expected in about three weeks. In talking to members about the Roster, I have heard some interesting stories involving John. I have asked those members to write up those tidbits and send them to Bob for possible inclusion for your enjoyment. Bob asks that any and all emails, mail, and all calls be sent directly to him at:
Bob Schneider
2321 Londale Court
Virginia Beach, VA 23456-6334
               The Fare Box was started in July 1947 by R. L. Moore as a token collector's checklist, and he abdicated with the Dec.1948 issue. The AVA was formed on October 31, 1948 in New York City, and a young student at Yale, John Coffee, became charter member #14. The AVA took over the Fare Box  as a house organ with the January 1949 issue #19 and named John, then 20, and D. Meade Peebles, another 20-ish and charter member #13, as co-editors. The October Fare Box, issue #28, explained the Mr. Peebles was no longer involved, and named John Coffee as sole editor of the Fare Box. Our February 2012 issue was John's 749th consecutive issue as editor, a period spanning 62 years and five months.
Keith Haney
Curator, AVA