Maryland Governor Proposes Sales Tax Exemption Repeal

1 view

Nick Pyle

Feb 1, 2012, 1:00:06 PM2/1/12
to Numismatists United for Political Action (NUPA)
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:04 AM
Subject: Maryland Governor Proposes Sales Tax Exemption Repeal

I'm writing you today because last year you stood united with the rest
of the numismatic community in helping defeat House Bill 206 in the
Maryland General Assembly, which would have repealed the Sales Tax
Exemption for Precious Metal Bullion and Coins.
We are grateful for the way the coin community came together to help
defeat the bill and save jobs and economic opportunity in Maryland.
But now the battle is joined once more.
The Governor of Maryland has proposed, in his FY 2013 Budget, to
repeal several sales tax exemptions and credits currently provided
under Maryland's Tax Code.
To determine with greater clarity the potential positions of both the
Governor and the Maryland General Assembly regarding tax code
initiatives, we have once again engaged this Session, The Rasmussen
Group to advocate on our behalf. Aggressive advocacy efforts are
already underway and our case to retain the sales and use tax
exemption is now being discussed with key Legislators.
May we count on your support?
We must be vigilant and make sure our voices are heard in Annapolis
with strength and clarity.
Here is how you can assist us in defeating this proposal:
Contact your Legislator by phone and expect to speak to a staff
member. (Here's the Legislators' roster.) Keep the call brief and
simply state your opposition to that provision within the Governor's
budget that would repeal the sales tax exemption.
If you prefer to send an email, keep it brief, as well. A single
paragraph can be most effective. Identify yourself as a Maryland
dealer, a dealer in general, a coin collector from Maryland, or a
collector from another state.
Consider the following talking points:
The sales tax exemption has been critically important to the success
of the three major shows conducted at the Convention Center in
Baltimore each year over the past 20 years.
Not only would Maryland lose the sales tax on sales under $1,000, but
the City of Baltimore would also lose significant revenue from the
loss of the hotel tax on thousands of hotel-room nights per year as
well as the retail and restaurant spending in Baltimore generated by
the show participants.
Respectfully request that legislators oppose any budget provisions or
legislation to repeal the sales tax exemption for precious metal
bullion and coins.
Generate additional contacts to Legislators by helping us spread the
word to your friends and associates who would be negatively impacted
by such a repeal.
We will continue to keep you abreast of developments with regard to
this important matter, and we are grateful for your continued support.
Cordially,
David Crenshaw
General Manager
Whitman Coin & Collectibles Expo