Coin3D and Wayland

tsad...@gmx.net

Jan 14, 2019, 3:44:46 PM1/14/19
to coin3d-discuss
Hello,

Coin3D is used in the FreeCAD project as the 3d renderer. When I tried to run FreeCAD natively under Wayland it crashed immediately when creating or opening a file, i.e. when creating a 3d view. It did work for me after I patched the Coin build so that it would not link against GLX. This is a workaround for FreeCAD but it will probably break anything that uses Coin to create a GL context.

What are the plans for Coin and Wayland? I assume that glue/gl_egl.(h|cpp) must be implemented. Does EGL work under Wayland and under X11 or is it necessary to switch both at runtime depending on the windowing system?

I could work a bit on the EGL glue if it helps.

Cheers,
Torsten

v.r.en...@googlemail.com

Feb 2, 2019, 6:37:40 PM2/2/19
to coin3d-discuss
Hi Torsten,

I never used Wayland on Linux so I cannot answer your questions, but your contributions to Coin are always highly appreciated. Do not hesitate to create issues/questions in the issue tracker or in this forum as many Coin and OpenInventor users are following this group.

Cheers, Volker

S.J. Becker

Apr 30, 2020, 8:41:58 PM4/30/20
to coin3d-discuss

This is still an issue. (I wish I could help but I'm brand new to all things 3D.)

Torsten Sadowski

May 14, 2020, 4:31:38 PM5/14/20
to coin3d-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

it is still an issue. An EGL binding must be implemented for Coin to
work fully with Wayland. I did look into it but this is really not
simple and requires a lot of work to understand GL and the interaction
with the windowing systems.

Cheers, Torsten
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/coin3d-discuss/c6227fee-ec51-4e22-a227-f1fc73c3a10c%40googlegroups.com
> .

Vanuan

Dec 29, 2020, 1:48:28 AM12/29/20
to coin3d-discuss
A couple of questions:

1. Does supporting EGL implies the support of OpenGL ES? I.e. does EGL support full OpenGL API? Or rather, would Coin work with OpenGL ES?
2. Does Coin3D use freeglut abstraction library or does it work with glx/wgl/cgl directly?
3. When we're talking about Wayland support, do we imply quarter, soqt, soxt?
Message has been deleted