cpack.d proposal for coin3d collection

Giampiero Gabbiani

May 5, 2018, 3:42:30 AM5/5/18
to coin3d-discuss
Hi all,

On the simage fork @ BitBucket (Giampiero Gabbiani / simage) is available a proposal for a cpack dropin.

Changes are on the cpack.d branch of the same repo and basically:
  • separate project build from its packaging
  • implement different distro based naming conventions in separate cpack configs
  • use the number of commits of the branch from which the package is built as package build-number (not perfect solution of course ... just an attempt to relate the produced binaries to the repository status)
Two examples are provided in the cpack.d dropin directory:
In the same branch there is also a two-steps pipeline showing how to use them for automatically producing
  • rpms for Fedora:27 (from ggabbiani/fedora-simage @ Docker Hub)
  • debian package for Ubuntu:18 (from ggabbiani/ubuntu-simage @ Docker Hub)
Each step uploads the resulting artifacts on the Downloads section of the BitBucket repo using a secured environment variable containing an application password with write capabilities.

The schema is expandible to new packages / distros once creating:
  • a new <distro>.cpack.in
  • a new step in the pipeline
I used simage instead of the Coin 3D core library because of the time limits for testing the pipelines, but I'm confident it could be used also in the other parts of the Coin 3D collection once similar pre-requisite Docker images are available.

The resulting packages are not to be considered definitive or officials, but - at least in my case - an help for developing Coin 3D apps without having the whole mercurial sources in place.

If you think it is worth, I can proceed with a PR and - eventually - go on with other components as well.

Best regards
Giampiero

Bastiaan Veelo

May 6, 2018, 5:17:02 AM5/6/18
to coin3d-...@googlegroups.com
On 05/05/2018 09:42, Giampiero Gabbiani wrote:
Hi all,

On the simage fork @ BitBucket (Giampiero Gabbiani / simage) is available a proposal for a cpack dropin.

[...]

Hi Giampiero,

As far as I can see, this is a good proposal. I will gladly pull the PRs that you produce. But, with the limited number of contributors to Coin, you have become the de facto expert regarding packaging, so you yourself are the best judge of it :-)

On a general note: 1) We have few contributors, most of whom have no merge rights. 2) We have few team members with merge rights, most of whom are inactive. Question to the community: Is it time to reconsider the members of the team?

Best regards,
Bastiaan.

Giampiero Gabbiani

May 10, 2018, 4:20:42 AM5/10/18
to coin3d-discuss
Hi Bastiaan,

sorry for the delay of my answer, I'm pretty busy at work in these days ...

I'll make the pull request and proceed consequently, as for the rest I agree (even if not a team member) and - in case a 'free' place would be available - I can join the team at least till completion of this task.

As a possible alternative, I gave a quick read to the BB plans and with the standard one the fee would be of $2 each person a month in case of at least 5 members. Considering that pipeline 'build minutes' usage could grow in case we had all the collection automatically built, this could simplify things.

On the other hand I'm aware that this would require someone willing to take care of and that - without a sponsor - to ask money to contributors is not a good idea ...

Best regards
Giampiero

Giampiero Gabbiani

May 14, 2018, 7:22:57 AM5/14/18
to coin3d-discuss
Hi Bastiaan,
simage cpack.d PR ready and waiting for approval.

As a remainder in order to publish successfully the artifacts on the Downloads section, two things must be done:

  1. creation of an application password for Coin3D user with write capabilities on the BitBucket project repo
  2. definition of a secured environment variable named BB_AUTH_STRING containing the Coin3D user credentials in the format:
    <repo owner>:<application password>
    with <repo owner> set to Coin3D
Best Regards
Giampiero