Survey on information needs in disasters and humanitarian emergencies

Helen Campbell

Jan 14, 2016, 2:41:31 PM1/14/16
to coi-data...@googlegroups.com, coi-decision...@googlegroups.com, dhne...@googlegroups.com

All,  Below is some information about a survey on information needs in disasters that has been compiled using information from the Decision Makers Needs and Coordinated Data Scramble communities of interest.  Please feel free to forward on to people who you think may be able to usefully contribute to the survey.  We will also need to think of good ways to analyse and present the resulting data – please let me know if you might be able to help with that.  Thanks, Helen

Survey on information needs of humanitarian actors in the initial phase of disasters and humanitarian emergencies.

Please take a few minutes to fill out the brief survey in order to take stock of existing information services and map out remaining information gaps - with the aim to find practical solutions for improved synchronization of information collection, verification and analysis in disasters and humanitarian emergencies. The findings of the survey will be presented and discussed at this year’s Humanitarian Networks and Partnership Week (HNPW) taking place from 1-4 February in Geneva (www.hnpw.org), which brings together UN Member States, regional organizations, military, NGOs, UN agencies, the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and the private sector.

LINK TO SURVEY: https://nlox4.enketo.kobotoolbox.org/webform

Deadline and contact: Kindly complete this survey by Friday 22 January and please feel free to forward it to colleagues and partners you think would be interested in participating.

Design and structure of survey: The survey builds upon a brainstorming workshop on decision-making during the first 72 hours of a sudden-onset emergency held at last year's Humanitarian Networks and Partnership Week (February 2015). During this workshop participants identified three key decision points:
- Notification and decision on whether the event requires follow-up?
- Should we deploy assets or activate our systems?
- What are the initial deployment priorities?

The survey is designed to investigate and match information requirements and services at each of the three decision points. Going further into detail it also tries to capture the underpinning datasets at each of these decision points. To capture this in a systematic way data requirements are broken down into four broad categories (followed by more detailed sub-categories): Scope + scale; humanitarian needs; humanitarian access; capacity + response. These categories are derived from the MIRA Analytical Framework  (multi-sectoral initial rapid assessment) developed by the former Inter-agency Standing Committee's (IASC) Needs Assessment Task Force (NATF). The analytical framework can be found in the MIRA guidance on page 4.

Many thanks for your support

Helen Campbell

Jan 20, 2016, 2:47:45 PM1/20/16
to coi-data...@googlegroups.com, coi-decision...@googlegroups.com, dhne...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,  Further to my last email, i'm now sharing a few of the preliminary results that we have from the Decision Makers Information and Data Needs Survey, which builds of the work of the Decision Makers Needs, Coordinated Data Scramble, and 72hr Task Force projects.  This contains less than half of the results that we now have from the survey, and the last day for submissions is friday - so i'm hoping we'll have a really useful variety of responses by friday!  Statistics Without Borders will be helping us to analyse and present the data for the HNPW meeting in GVA.  As always, i'm keen for any of you who are not already in the google groups for the CDS and DMN Communities of Interest to join up if you have interests in these areas.  I will be sending out some news on good progress with the Coordinated Data Scramble soon.  Thanks all, Helen

From: helen_r...@hotmail.com
To: coi-data...@googlegroups.com; coi-decision...@googlegroups.com; dhne...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Survey on information needs in disasters and humanitarian emergencies
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 20:41:28 +0100
72hrTaskForceSurvey_PreliminaryResults.pdf

Helen Campbell

Feb 5, 2016, 7:38:56 PM2/5/16
to coi-data...@googlegroups.com, coi-decision...@googlegroups.com, dhne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,  Another quick update.  I created a (not very pretty) presentation at https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1mzd9rAGPYQKEdnL9WtlLZ4vI7fkDJTrb04zYzPiAAR4/edit#slide=id.g1089a15357_0_0 which aims to bring together the work done so far on decision makers needs/data scrambles/decision points/map reviews and key questions...

The survey for the 72hr Task Force at the HNPW went well, and we're working with SWB to put it into a usable database that can be shared with the community, as well as making some Tableau visualisations to help everyone to explore the data.   As always, open to any questions/contributions etc!  Thanks, Helen

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 20:47:40 +0100