Real time information needs - monitoring Pam

Helen Campbell

Mar 22, 2015, 6:28:06 AM3/22/15
to coi-decision...@googlegroups.com, roxanne...@gmail.com
HI All,  I'm thinking that it will be really useful for the development of the Coordinated Data Scramble concept as well as identifying and classifying Decision Makers Needs, if we can somehow capture information needs as they arise during the response to Pam....  I could just create a google doc and ask the skype community to add to it....  But is that the best way to do it?

That will not enable us to capture field information needs...  I remember a while ago we discussed whether we might be able to persuade some students to read through Cluster meeting notes and extract the relevant information....  Wondering whether any of you think we might be able to do something for this now?

Cheers, Helen

Martina Comes

Apr 3, 2015, 9:56:09 AM4/3/15
to coi-decision...@googlegroups.com, roxanne...@gmail.com
Just back from a visit at the Université Dauphine this week, who are builiding up a new Masters Program on Peace Studies. Other than traditional such programs, this one has strong links to Computer Sciences and quantitative methods.
They are still looking for organizations willing to host some of the students as interns (3 months), and this might be an interesting project for them.
Also open for any other suggestions!

Charles Conley

Apr 3, 2015, 12:33:39 PM4/3/15
to coi-decision...@googlegroups.com, roxanne...@gmail.com
It might be worth reviewing this doc http://www.acaps.org/img/documents/t-tufts_1306_acaps_3_online.pdf. It's a pretty good starting point to identify the decision maker categories and what types of needs assessments have been developed to help them make decisions.

At one point (2011 or 2012) iMMAP and MapAction (GISCORPS possibly as well)  were working with ACAPS to catalog and characterize emergency response maps and the data they were based. I don't know what became of the effort however, it might be a starting point to build a data needs profile by decision maker category and response phase. Patrice would be the best POC for more info.

Chuck

Charles Conley | Chief Information Officer

iMMAP : Better Data | Better Decisions | Better Outcomes

1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.,Suite 470 Washington, D.C. 20004

Tel: +1 202 999 4244 | Email: cco...@immap.org | Skype: minemapper

Facebook icon Twitter icon LinkedIn icon  View my profile on LinkedIn

Helen Campbell

Apr 7, 2015, 6:26:58 AM4/7/15
to coi-decision...@googlegroups.com, roxanne...@gmail.com
Thanks Chuck - have uploaded that report to the DMN Google Drive area.

I am working on the map review that you mention below - the data entry form is just about complete, and i'll be emailing you all soon to ask you to do some test entries for me!

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 12:33:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [DMNeeds] Real time information needs - monitoring Pam
From: cco...@immap.org
To: coi-decision...@googlegroups.com
CC: roxanne...@gmail.com

Helen Campbell

Apr 8, 2015, 8:37:10 AM4/8/15
to coi-decision...@googlegroups.com, roxanne...@gmail.com
Hi All,  As you know, we have been working on developing a way of reviewing and analyzing the current state of crisis mapping, with a view to better understanding current strengths and limitations of crisis  mapping, and how well crisis maps are helping inform key decisions.  A presentation can be seen at https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17kdmBoSIgZitUM2l_5HNRc__Z8Fwvt6McWZhLm8fszg/edit#slide=id.p3

As mentioned by Chuck recently, it is hope that this can be used as a starting point to build a data needs profile by decision maker category and response phase.

The plan is to ask the Crisis Mappers community to carry out the review.  However, we really need the data entry form testing first.  Please could I ask you all to find a map or two of the Philippines from reliefweb, and fill it in and submit the review using the form at - https://eghrc.enketo.kobotoolbox.org/webform (please feel free to forward this on to other colleagues as well).

Many thanks in advance for your help.  Helen