Delivering maps to meet key information needs of field-based decision makers

Helen Campbell

May 6, 2016, 4:49:20 AM5/6/16
to shoreh...@gmail.com, m.sa...@csuohio.edu, coi-decision...@googlegroups.com, steeve...@gaia-geosystems.org, nicco....@gmail.com, jschu...@tableau.com, rox...@humanitarianresponse.info, el...@un.org, p...@acaps.org, ver...@un.org

Hi Shoreh,  Here is an update for the GISCorps newsletter.  I am also copying the Decision Makers Needs Community of Interest to keep the group updated on progress, and a few other important contributors.

For members of the COI on decision makers needs, please let me know if you would like access to the backend database of map classifications for further research!

Delivering maps to meet key information needs of field-based decision makers:

For a number of years, there has been recognition of the problem that the ever increasing quantities of data and information reaching field-based decision makers during emergencies is becoming overwhelming.  In the absence of a clearly-defined structure to help field-based decision makers to pin-point the right information products at the right time, there is a  high likelihood that useful information products will never make it into the hands of the right decision makers.

In recognition of this, the Decision Makers Needs Community of Interest produced a Decision Makers Taxonomy, and held a workshop for field-based decision makers,in which key questions and information needs of decision makers were identified.  The Consultative Group on Emergency Preparedness and Response also established a Focused Task Force on Information Needs of key Decision Makers in the first 72hrs of emergency response, who also defined key decision-points in emergencies and the key questions that need to be answered at these decision points.

To operationalise all this work, the Decision Makers Needs Community of Interest produced this Map Filter for the emergency in Ecuador, based on the key questions identified above.  It allows people to filter maps based the questions they need the map to help answer, the key datasets they need to see on the maps, and the date of production of the map.  The Map Filter was designed and continually updated by a volunteer from the Tableau Service Corps.  For the filter to work, it was vital to have people with experience in map interpretation to classify the maps based on potential map use.  This map classification was done by 5 volunteers from GISCorps - it required monitoring maps posted to ReliefWeb and then creating detailed map metadata that could then be used in the map filter.  Having GISCorps volunteers from across the globe meant that the filter was able to be continually updated around the clock during the first few weeks of the response.

We have already received initial positive responses from OCHA and the UK's Department for International Development.  We will be carrying out a full review of the system to improve it for use in the next response, and we very much hope to be able to partner with GISCorps again!

Thanks as always to GISCorps for your amazing team of professional and enthusiastic volunteers!