LogMath add and subtract

brandon willard

Aug 13, 2013, 12:24:44 PM8/13/13
to cognitiv...@googlegroups.com
I was just researching some numerical things when I remembered some changes I made to the methods in LogMath that might interest you folks: it's well summarized here.
I've attached the relevant changes to LogMath (in methods "add" and "subtract").

Best,

Brandon
LogMath.java

Justin Basilico

Aug 13, 2013, 8:20:10 PM8/13/13
to cognitiv...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I wonder if it may be useful in adding these log1mexp and log1pexp utility functions they suggest directly (though maybe with slightly nicer names : ), maybe in MathUtil, and then using them in the LogMath, that way they could also easily be reused in other contexts.

Thanks, : )
Justin

Justin Basilico

Aug 26, 2013, 1:41:40 AM8/26/13
to cognitiv...@googlegroups.com
added new functions to MathUtil (log1PlusExp and log1MinusExp) based on your suggestion and also modified LogMath to make use of them.

Thanks for the idea and pointers, : )
Justin