Re: [Cogitata] Digest for cogitata@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Jerry LR Chandler

Apr 20, 2022, 1:12:01 PM4/20/22
to cogi...@googlegroups.com
Lots of Fun!!!

Cheers
Jerry

On Apr 18, 2022, at 8:25 AM, cogi...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Jaimi Hendrix <jaimi....@gmail.com>: Apr 17 09:02PM -0400

Dear colleagues:

This is a reminder that, this Wednesday, April 20 at 5pm CET, we meet again
via ZOOM to discuss the 6th & 7th chapter of Loet Leydesdorff's book.
(Scroll down to see the original invitation):

-

Chapter 6 - Regions, Innovations & the North-South Divide in Italy
<https://rd.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-030-59951-5.pdf>.
-

Chapter 7 - *The Measurement of Synergy
<https://rd.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-030-59951-5.pdf>.*

1. There will be three commentaries, each one 15-minute each, by:

- Helen Lawton Smith
<https://www.bbk.ac.uk/our-staff/profile/8007764/helen-lawton-smith>
(Innovation
Studies, Birkbeck, London Univ., UK).
- Jerome Warren
<https://genosem.uni-koeln.de/de/team/doktorandinnen/jerome-warren-ma>
(Economics
& Social Sciences, Univ. of Cologne, Germany)
- Richard Klavans <https://www.scitech-strategies.com/our-team> (SciTech
Strategies, Berwyn, PA, USA)

2. ZOOM link:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9116543210?pwd=RkJWR0JtaDRVYTRNZE5yUVAxbVQ2Zz09
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9116543210?pwd=RkJWR0JtaDRVYTRNZE5yUVAxbVQ2Zz09>

3. The ZOOM room will open at 4:45pm CET.

4. Each commentator is given 15 minutes to present, followed by 5 minutes
to address clarification questions. The remaining time will be used for
interactive discussion.

5. The settings of the COGITATA googlegroup are such that anyone can access
the email discussion. However, to join the discussion, one must first join
the Googlegroup at https://groups.google.com/g/cogitata?hl=en.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

My very best,

Jaimi Hendrickx

1-607-624-9876

Ithaca, NY 14850 USA

Dear colleagues,

You are cordially invited to join the slow-read/discussion of The
Evolutionary Dynamics of Discursive Knowledge, the latest book by Loet
Leydesdorff <https://www.leydesdorff.net/>. The book is freely available
(Open Access) <https://rd.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5>. It
provides an introduction to the connections between systems theory,
evolutionary theory, sociology, STS, communication theory, and cybernetics
and its objective is to facilitate interdisciplinary exchange. We will
read and discuss about one chapter each month. Scroll down for the
schedule.

The book discussion will take place via ZOOM on the third Wednesday of
every month at 5pm CET (4pm BST, 11am EST, 8am PST(**)). Each ZOOM
meeting, three
scholars will give a brief commentary on the chapter scheduled for that
day, followed by an interactive discussion. The ZOOM room link is the
following:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9116543210?pwd=RkJWR0JtaDRVYTRNZE5yUVAxbVQ2Zz09

If you would like to act as a commentator for any of the chapters (max 15
minutes, max 7 PPT slides <https://www.clubofremy.org/#rule>), please get
in touch with one of the event organizers (johns...@gmail.com or
jaimi....@gmail.com) to finalize the details. Commentaries in the form
of a video presentation (maximum 20 minutes) are welcomed, especially from
those who cannot join the ZOOM meetings due to international time zone
differences.

Past ZOOM meetings:

Wednesday, December 15, 2021 - Chapter 1 - Knowledge-based Innovation and
Social Coordination
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5> <pdf>

-

“Evolution—Dynamics—Discourse—Knowledge,”
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjX4LoixDs> <youtube> by Mark W.
Johnson <http://dailyimprovisation.blogspot.com/> (Cybernetics, Univ. of
Liverpool, UK).
-

“Intellectual and social contexts: an intervention,
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ZRDq6q8FM>“ <youtube> by Andrea
Scharnhorst <https://pure.knaw.nl/portal/en/persons/andrea-scharnhorst>
(DANS, Royal Academy, NL).
-

“The priority of Husserl’s cogitata,
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufEX0acMx0>“ <youtube> by Eva Buchinger
<https://www.ait.ac.at/ueber-das-ait/researcher-profiles?tx_aitprofile_pi1%5Bname%5D=Buchinger%20Eva&cHash=bff83e21c759d33f96c7721ffdaa2dd9>
(Austrian Institute of Technology, Austria)
-

Discussion <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyosEQVills><youtube>;
transcript <https://www.leydesdorff.net/cogitata/chapter1.htm> <html>;
transcript <https://www.leydesdorff.net/cogitata/chapter1.pdf> <pdf>

Wednesday, January, 19 2022 - Discussion of Chapter 2 -
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5>The Communication
Turn in Philosophy of Science
<https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5_2> <pdf>; and

Chapter 3 - Scientific Communication and Codification
<https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5_3> <pdf>

-

“Rational Expectations versus Beliefs”
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHmvNyYHd84> <youtube> by
<http://dailyimprovisation.blogspot.com/> Marco Schirone
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marco-Schirone-2> (Univ. of Borås,
Chalmers Univ,. Sweden). Slides
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bop1j8KrSK-a1wlXyf12YRmn38gKEpep/view>
<pdf>
-

“Chapters 2 and 3 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6-vmiOSkKE>”
<youtube> by
<https://pure.knaw.nl/portal/en/persons/andrea-scharnhorst>Edmundo
Balsemão <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Edmundo-Pires>
(Philosophy, Univ. de Coimbra, Portugal). Slides
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oCyjUhgpZgsVf1HLnsDpB2_zfZUH05ZO/view>
<pdf>
-

“From the Perspective of Quantitative Science Studies”
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctu-jxGaVrw> <youtube> by
<https://www.ait.ac.at/ueber-das-ait/researcher-profiles?tx_aitprofile_pi1%5Bname%5D=Buchinger%20Eva&cHash=bff83e21c759d33f96c7721ffdaa2dd9>Stasa
Milojevic <https://luddy.indiana.edu/contact/profile/?Stasa_Milojevic>
(Cognitive Science, Indiana University, Bloomington, USA).
-

Discussion <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoR2sBbsrpI> <youtube>;
transcript <https://www.leydesdorff.net/cogitata/chapter2_3.htm> <html>;
transcript <https://www.leydesdorff.net/cogitata/chapter2_3.pdf> <pdf>

*Wednesday, Feb 16, 2022
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9116543210?pwd=RkJWR0JtaDRVYTRNZE5yUVAxbVQ2Zz09>* --
Discussion of Chapter 4 -
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5>Towards a
Calculus of Redundancy
<https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5_2>

- Comments <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MsgQJ2vNwA>by *Inga
Ivanova <https://hse-ru.academia.edu/IngaIvanova>* (HSE Univ., Moscow,
Russia).
- Comments <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCszsvRxYM> by *Larry
Richards* <https://campuslibraryiue.academia.edu/LarryRichards> (Mgmt. &
Engineering, Indiana Univ. East, USA).
- Comments <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBk9xoJtog> by *Diana Lucio*
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Diana-Lucio-Arias> (Pontifical
Xavierian Univ., Columbia).
- Group discussion <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK0vL_G5rLY>
- <transcript> <https://www.leydesdorff.net/cogitata/chapter4.htm>

Wednesday, March 16, 2022 – Chapter 5 - Evolutionary & Institutional
Triple Helix Models. Comments by:

-

Lucio Biggiero <https://www.luciobiggiero.com/> (Org. Science; Univ. of
L'Aquila, Italia)
-

Yuzhuo Cai <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Yuzhuo-Cai> (Mgmt &
Business, Tampere Univ., Finland)
-

Klaus Krippendorff (Annenberg School of Communications, University of
Pennsylvania, USA)

Remaining ZOOM meetings: (Go to https://groups.google.com/g/cogitata?hl=en
for the latest updates)

Wednesday, April 20, 2022 - Chapter 6 Regions, Innovations & the
North-South Divide in Italy; and Chapter 7 - The Measurement of Synergy.
Comments by :

- Helen Lawton Smith
<https://www.bbk.ac.uk/our-staff/profile/8007764/helen-lawton-smith>
(Innovation Studies, Birkbeck, London Univ., UK)
- Jerome Warren
<https://genosem.uni-koeln.de/de/team/doktorandinnen/jerome-warren-ma>
(Economics & Social Sciences, Univ. of Cologne, Germany)
- Richard Klavans <https://www.scitech-strategies.com/our-team> (SciTech
Strategies, Berwyn, PA, USA)

Wednesday, May 18, 2022 – Chapter 8 - Anticipation and the Dynamics of
Expectations. Comments by :

- Luciano Gallon <https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucianogallon/> (Univ.
Pontificia Bolivariana, Columbia)
- Andrea Pitasi <http://andrea...@unich.it/> (Università degli
Studi "G. d'Annunzio", Chieti, Italt)

Wednesday, June 15, 2022 – Chapter 9 - Subdynamics in Knowledge-based
Systems. Comments by:

-

Igone Porto Gomez
<https://scholar.google.es/citations?hl=es&user=Xa8IHIcAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate&view_op=list_works&gmla=AJsN-F7z6N4QLlIiikQN8mN4uyeWVrPTid230OS6xnskOvQlJitTaFBTNEO0yRbURZIvAlRZEqU8u-9YbTGLm5uw24noTgG6QQoXjhyZsjVyB0FjWhvQDzo>
(Engineering & Organization, Univ. de Deusto, Spain)
-

Caroline Wagner <https://glenn.osu.edu/caroline-s-wagner> (Public
Affairs, Ohio State Univ., USA)

Wednesday, July 20, 2022 – Chapter 10 - Cultural and Biological Evolution.
Comments by:

-

Christiane Gebhardt
<https://ch.linkedin.com/in/dr-christiane-gebhardt-74939779> (Drees &
Sommer, Zurich, Switzerland)
-

Gerard de Zeeuw <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_de_Zeeuw>
(Mathematics, Univ. of Amsterdam, Netherlands)

Wednesday, August 17, 2022 – Chapter 11 - Summary and Conclusions. Comments
by:

-

Jerome Warren
<https://genosem.uni-koeln.de/de/team/doktorandinnen/jerome-warren-ma>
(Economics & Social Sciences, Univ. of Cologne, Germany)

Reviews of the book:

- Schirone, Mark. (2021). Review of: Leydesdorff, Loet. The evolutionary
dynamics of discursive knowledge. Communication-theoretical perspectives on
an empirical philosophy of science. Cham: Springer Nature, 2021. Information
Research, Vol 26 No 3, Review no. R725 [Retrieved from
http://www.informationr.net/ir/reviews/revs725.html]

- Mark Johnson’s review "Leydesdorff’s Compass: A Review of “The
Evolutionary Dynamics of Discursive Knowledge,” will be published in the
November/December issue 2021 of Cybernetics and Human Knowing
<http://chkjournal.com/>.

- Inga Ivanova (2021), New Frontiers in the Theory of Meaning in
Inter-Human Communications <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2021.120672>,
Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 167(2) 120672

Additional details:

- An open-access copy of the book is available at
https://rd.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5.

- Email discussions will be archived here at
https://groups.google.com/g/cogitata?hl=en. Everyone is welcome to join the
Google group.

- RSVP to jaimi....@gmail.com. RSVP is not necessary, but preferred.

- This event series is hosted by Club of Remy - Speed Dating of Ideas, a
loosely affiliated group of cyberneticians. For more details on the Club
of Remy, check out its web site, www.clubofremy.org, or its YouTube channel
at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJumBT3J15xhAoNs9CnrSVg/about

- Each ZOOM session will be recorded and posted in the Club of Remy YouTube
channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJumBT3J15xhAoNs9CnrSVg/videos

- For further information about this event series, contact Mark
Johnson (Cybernetics,
Univ. of Liverpool <http://dailyimprovisation.blogspot.com/>) at
johns...@gmail.com or Margaretha "Jaimi" Hendrickx at
jaimi....@gmail.com.

(**) Changes in schedule due to Daylight Saving Time (DST) changes:

Please, synchronize with 5pm Paris/Amsterdam/Berlin/Maribor/Ljubljana
time.

Note that in March 2022, the USA moves its clocks 1 hour forward two weeks
before the EU countries move their clocks forward. Consequently, in March
2022, the ZOOM meeting will start 1 hour later for those residing in the
United States at that time:

- Dec 2021 - Feb 2022: 5pm CET (4pm GMT, 11am EST, 8am PST
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/>)

- Mar 2022: 5pm CET (4pm GMT, 12pm EDT, 9am PDT
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/>)

- Apr - Aug 2022: 5 pm CEST (4pm BST, 11am EDT, 8am PDT
<https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/>)

To find out when DST changes go into effect for your country, visit
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html.

Jerome Warren

Apr 21, 2022, 8:44:03 AM4/21/22
to Evolutionary Dynamics of Discursive Knowledge
Dear Jerry and Co.,

I agree, it was a fascinating discussion. Just some reflections on my part: I think what is interesting about the TH approach is its injection of the relational view into the foreground. The fact that different logics (each with different goal functions and means of arriving at those goals: whether optimization [maximization under constraint], redistribution [reallocation of resources according to some rule], reciprocity [e.g., Kant's categorical imperative], randomization, etc.) can simultaneously operate on each other, on the agents and institutions employing them, and on the world, adds something new to both the notion of evolution and the notion of social behavior than a purely static or mechanismic understanding, with its reductionist perspective.

My main draw from reading Chapter 6 and comparing its conclusions with my own research was that the recognition of the above is significant. With regards to innovation policy, this means incorporating the historical development of both the goals of innovation policy (is it GDP growth, mitigating of climate catastrophe, reducing inequality, etc.?), what Loet refers to as a regime, as well as the context in which it occurs (this also includes the historical development of political and geographic boundaries).

Within that framework, I think the powerful message of the TH framework is the ability to marshal such knowledge for the purposes of crafting intelligent, mission-oriented policy. Where this links up to my own research is in my attempt to foreground cooperation as a necessary condition for economic behavior and for economic development. As Klaus empahsized yesterday, communication is important, not merely as an artifact, but as a motor of change. Engendering new values (including those of "emulation" that Veblen spends so much time on) can motivate the shift to new macrocultures that are, in turn, able to reorient entire systems, like society, on a new footing. And, in accordance with Loet's framework, I think this process works best when one iteratively shifts back and forth from the evolutionary logics that operate on historical events and actors and the tendency of those events to incur again on the logics. Here, the place for notions like ascendancy. Just as governments were essential in creating the conditions for the rise of the present industrial system based on wage labor by lending such relations legitimacy via the legal and jurisprudential logic, via regulations and via building infrastructure like roads, bridges and canals, such institutions can facilitate a shift towards a qualitative shift towards more explicit cooperation in industry and knowledge production. Such a shift may ultimately work to de-emphasize the operation of other logics, e.g., the profit-miximizing logic may become less of a constraint as we enter a post-scarcity economy (it is already less relevant in the information and knowledge economy, which, as we all know, relies largely on volunteer labor within the FOSS community).

To what extent information theory is necessary or useful for such an analysis: the point, I think, relates to uniqueness: information theory, as I understand it, tries to break data down to their most elementary units. As I think one can never reduce human agents in their complexity and indeterminacy to "bits", one can only capture regularly occurring interactions in this way. I think, for instance, a theory of money based on information theory might be a useful endeavor. Loet mentions the application of his approach to money at one point in the book (money as "medium"). Its use in reducing linguistic acts to data seems to me limited, as these are often times irreducible. This might get to what Jerry was getting at with his "semiosis" reference..

Not sure if this adds anything...
Jerome