[x-post] Riot app with matrix protocol is a very big leap for Free Software, decentralized messaging

Pirate Praveen

Dec 12, 2016, 1:37:34 PM12/12/16
to Discussion list of Swathanthra Malayalam Computing, DAKF Ekm, Indian FOSS Community Network list, Fosscom Network, Discussions related to Free Software and the Movement, fsug...@yahoogroups.com, cofsug, N:
It is very nicely done and better than all previous Free Software,
decentralized solutions

Compared to conversations/xmpp,
1 - it has really nice integration with IRC, you can join search for
smc-project and join irc channel via matrix. It has transparent user
mapping ie, all members joined via matrix will be individual users
instead of a bot
2 - it has good cross platform support with end to end encryption
(omemo support was available only on conversations, gajim and very
recently on ChatSecure for IOS beta release)
3 - It has better discovery of people in groups (it was not easy to
connect people/add to contacts in xmpp muc)
4 - Its has nice email integration, it notifies activity by email,
helps find contacts by email, supports multiple email addresses.
5 - groups are decentralized too. If you try matrix, join
#fci:matrix.org or #fci:disroot.org (both are same room accessible via
two different servers providing redundancy)

Compared to Signal,

1. It is decentralized,
2. It does not require Google Play services and available on Fdroid

Compared to Kontalk
1. Has groups (kontalk groups are in development)
2. Kontalk groups are hard to use as it will not work if you don't
verify keys of all participants, in Riot, its available as an option.

It would be a good time to checkout riot/matrix and move away from
centralized silos like WhatsApp and Telegram. You can checkout
https://matrix.org to learn more about it. There is purple-matrix plugin
for pidgin, riot.im can be accessed from any browser, there are apps for
android, iOS and Windows Phone. It has bridges for slack as well.

I have written more about it here https://poddery.com/posts/2784735

If you already tried matrix/riot, please share your experience

signature.asc

Pirate Praveen

Dec 22, 2016, 10:09:58 AM12/22/16
On ചൊവ്വ 13 ഡിസംബര്‍ 2016 12:07 രാവിലെ, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> You can checkout
> https://matrix.org to learn more about it. There is purple-matrix plugin
> for pidgin, riot.im can be accessed from any browser, there are apps for
> android, iOS and Windows Phone. It has bridges for slack as well.

Just found out there is a riot desktop app as well (it was released only
recently) https://riot.im/download/desktop/

Mikaela at #fci:disroot.org gave the tip (I was not able to find it earlier)

signature.asc