Devanagari Typing on Debian/Jessie

अभिजित Abhijit

Mar 10, 2016, 4:40:23 AM3/10/16
to cofsug

​Can anyone help me setup Devanagari typing on Debian/Jessie (8.0)?

Apparantly the package ttf-devanagari-fonts is not present in Jessie. Used to be there on Wheezy (7.0).

I have installed libreoffice-l10n-mr. It did not require any other Marathi dependencies.

The packages like language-pack-mr which are present on Ubuntu are absent on Debian.

I can see Marathi/Phonetic in Ibus preferences. But on selecting it and typing using it, Nothing gets typed (no characters appear on screen).

Please help.
- Abhijit A M

Pirate Praveen

Mar 10, 2016, 9:45:49 AM3/10/16
to cof...@googlegroups.com

On 2016, മാർച്ച് 10 3:09:42 PM IST, "अभिजित Abhijit" <abhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>​Can anyone help me setup Devanagari typing on Debian/Jessie (8.0)?
>
>Apparantly the package ttf-devanagari-fonts is not present in Jessie.
>Used
>to be there on Wheezy (7.0).

It is now called fonts-deva

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/fonts-deva

You can install all devanagari fonts with fonst-deva or install individual fonts listed on that page like

fonts-nakula, fonts-sahadeva etc

>I have installed libreoffice-l10n-mr. It did not require any other
>Marathi
>dependencies.
>
>The packages like language-pack-mr which are present on Ubuntu are
>absent
>on Debian.
>
>I can see Marathi/Phonetic in Ibus preferences. But on selecting it and
>typing using it, Nothing gets typed (no characters appear on screen).

Once you install the fonts, you should be able to see what you type.

>Please help.
>- Abhijit A M

अभिजित Abhijit

Mar 10, 2016, 10:32:13 PM3/10/16
to cofsug
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Pirate Praveen <pra...@onenetbeyond.org> wrote:

On 2016, മാർച്ച് 10 3:09:42 PM IST, "अभिजित Abhijit" <abhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>​Can anyone help me setup Devanagari typing on Debian/Jessie (8.0)?
>
>Apparantly the package ttf-devanagari-fonts is not present in Jessie.
>Used
>to be there on Wheezy (7.0).

It is now called fonts-deva

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/fonts-deva

You can install all devanagari fonts with fonst-deva or install individual fonts listed on that page like

fonts-nakula, fonts-sahadeva etc

fonts-deva is already installed !  I installed ttf-devanagari-fonts from wheezy also, still things not working.

- Abhijit

Pirate Praveen

Mar 10, 2016, 10:44:34 PM3/10/16
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Are you able to type it in other applications like gedit?

>- Abhijit

Pirate Praveen

Mar 10, 2016, 10:45:51 PM3/10/16
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Is it working in iceweasel? Can you read mr.wikipedia.org?

>- Abhijit

अभिजित Abhijit

Mar 11, 2016, 7:46:06 AM3/11/16
to cofsug

 Can't write using any editor or iceweasel.
 Can read the marathi wikipedia. Can even read Devanagari documents in libreoffice.
I think this is some issue with Ibus.

- abhijit

vaibhav kurhe

Mar 12, 2016, 12:30:44 PM3/12/16
to cof...@googlegroups.com
I have fonts-deva installed But, libreoffice-l10n-mr and ibus are not installed on my Debian Jessie system.
Still I can view and write in Marathi. See the attached screenshot.

marathi.png

vaibhav kurhe

Mar 12, 2016, 1:13:43 PM3/12/16
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, in the previous post, I attached screenshot having wrong commands to check whether a package is installed..
Now, I have used apt-get install "ibus" or "libreoffice-l10n-mr" or "fonts-deva". And no package of these is shown to be installed on my Debian Jessie system.
I have attached now my "/etc/apt/sources.list" file.
sources.list

Pirate Praveen

Mar 12, 2016, 11:32:03 PM3/12/16
to cof...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 11 March 2016 06:15 PM, अभिजित Abhijit wrote:
> Can't write using any editor or iceweasel.
> Can read the marathi wikipedia. Can even read Devanagari documents in
> libreoffice.
> I think this is some issue with Ibus.

Do you have ibus-m17n installed? Try installing it.

signature.asc

अभिजित Abhijit

Mar 14, 2016, 5:35:49 AM3/14/16
to cofsug
Already installed ibus-m17n.

अभिजित Abhijit

Mar 14, 2016, 7:15:26 AM3/14/16
to cofsug
Vaibhav/Pravin, can you send me your "dpkg -l" output?
- Abhijit

अभिजित Abhijit

Mar 17, 2016, 8:32:32 AM3/17/16
to cofsug
Vaibhav/Pravin, can you send me your "dpkg -l" output?

अभिजित Abhijit

Mar 17, 2016, 9:32:06 AM3/17/16
to cofsug
problem solved. Installed all Ibus packages that I had on ubuntu, also on debian.
run ibus-setup again from command line
added the 3 lines
  export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
  export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
  export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
to my ~/.bashrc
Logged out from desktop and logged in again.

Things working now. मै अभि हिंदी टाईप कर सकता हूं.

however one more issue is not resolved.. The joined characters like प्रश्न with the half-r - do not appear properly on the screen. The half-r appears with the halant instead of being converted into half-r.

- abhijit

अभिजित Abhijit

Mar 18, 2016, 5:11:31 AM3/18/16
to cofsug
On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 7:01 PM, अभिजित Abhijit <abhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
problem solved. Installed all Ibus packages that I had on ubuntu, also on debian.
run ibus-setup again from command line
added the 3 lines
  export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
  export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
  export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
to my ~/.bashrc
Logged out from desktop and logged in again.

Things working now. मै अभि हिंदी टाईप कर सकता हूं.

however one more issue is not resolved.. The joined characters like प्रश्न with the half-r - do not appear properly on the screen. The half-r appears with the halant instead of being converted into half-r.

- abhijit

problem solved by changing font settings in firefox.
- abhijit

Arun Khan

Mar 18, 2016, 12:06:16 PM3/18/16
to cof...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing your "solved" posting. Very few people do it
leaving others (who follow the thread) wondering if the problem was
solved or remains open.

-- Arun Khan