Cofoja and Kotlin

Bill Foote

Feb 20, 2019, 1:15:13 PM2/20/19
to cofoja
Hi.  General question here -- has anyone looked into integrating Cofoja and Kotlin?

From a quick scan of the architecture, I assume it would "just work," except that the contract expressions would be written in Java.  I guess it wouldn't be insurmountable to feed the expressions to the Kotlin compiler, but I haven't looked into this at all -- and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Java support for this were much more mature than is the case for Kotlin.

I'm mostly asking to avoid re-inventing the whee.  If nobody else is looking at this, I might poke around some.  That said, the most likely time for me to explore a project like this might not be for quite some time :-)

Just for background, I played around with Eiffel some back in '95, and I've always been a fan of design by contract.  I was one of the ones at JavaSoft who was disappointed by the anemic assertion support we added in 1.4, but from my perch way over in PersonalJava land, that and a quarter would buy a phone call.  From a payphone, which was a thing that existed back then.  I'm maybe a bit of a Kotlin fanboi too, or at least, I think it has a lot of promise, so at some point in the future I might see if I can't integrate them.  If someone else doesn't get there first :-)

Also -- thanks for creating Cofoja, and Modern Jass before it!  I'm impressed.