SSD drive in a Mac?

Andy Ross

Oct 5, 2013, 11:10:41 AM10/5/13
to coffeeho...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The hard drive in my MacBook Pro is giving out.l I'm really interested in replacing it with either a Solid State Drive, or one of the hybrid drives.

Does anybody here have any experience with that? Or know where I can get the new drive installed and my current software and data moved over? Anyone know who around town does that sort of work?

No, the Apple Store won't do it. They'll only replace like with like on the drives.

thanks,
Andy Ross

Kyle Mulka

Oct 5, 2013, 11:45:34 AM10/5/13
to coffeeho...@googlegroups.com
Replacing the hard drive is pretty easy. Just need the right sized screwdriver(s). To move data I used Time Machine, but I've heard they make devices which will directly copy the data from one drive to the other. If you don't want to do it yourself, I wonder if Beagle Brain would do it for you.

Kyle Mulka
ky...@kylemulka.com
206 883 5352
http://www.kylemulka.com

Adam Goodman

Oct 5, 2013, 1:12:18 PM10/5/13
to coffeeho...@googlegroups.com

ifixit.com tends to have really good guides on the actual disassembly process, if you decide to do it yourself.

If you get a USB enclosure for your old drive, and the new one is the same size or larger, you can use the built-in OSX Disk Utility to clone your data (e.g. http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=/manuals/mac/clon_data.html)

- Adam

Andy Ross

Oct 30, 2013, 1:27:16 PM10/30/13
to coffeeho...@googlegroups.com
So I got an SSD, installed it myself, and everything is great! Vast improvement.