New Opportunity - Hackathon

Alissa Carpenter

Mar 14, 2014, 11:15:08 AM3/14/14
Hello,

My name is Alissa Carpenter and I am the events manager for Ann Arbor SPARK. I wanted to share an exciting opportunity with you as everyone copied on this email has been identified as an influencer in the hacker/coder community.

SPARK will be hosting a hackathon on April 4th/5th in conjunction with NestGSV, an innovation incubator in Silicon Valley. We want to show them that Michigan has the talent to compete and bring home some major cash prizes when pegged head to head with our California counterparts. What we are hoping is that you will be able to share the email invitation I am about to send you with your networks.

The email invite will have more details regarding time, registration, and theme but if you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out.

Any help in spreading the word is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alissa Carpenter
Events Manager
Ann Arbor SPARK
330 E. Liberty St., Lower Level
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Advancing the economy of the Ann Arbor Region

Alan Gutierrez

Mar 14, 2014, 3:02:07 PM3/14/14
to coffeeho...@googlegroups.com, Alissa Carpenter
Are we doing something about spam on the mailing list? Getting spam
messages is really annoying. I hate when they ask for my money, but when
they ask me to attend an event where I'm supposed to work, for free, it
is beyond annoying. SPARK is already painfully annoying. Tis is the sort
of behavior you can expect from them, but there is something about the
wording and the spamming that exceeds my expectations. This is something
more than annoying. Hats off to SPARK.

As a reminder, instead of competing for cash prizes, you can work for
cash money, under contract and send anyone who refuses to pay to a
collection agency, just to make a point. NEVER work without getting
paid, unless it is your own venture. You make a fool of yourself and our
entire developer community.

Seriously, Hack-a-thons are of no use for your career development. The
are ridiculous spectacles of toil. You are pathetic, exhausted little
fish in someone's weekend aquarium. It's obvious from this email that
they mean to put you on display.

Do you really want to expose yourself to a business community that
expects you to work for free in exchange for, what? Their recognition?
Why do you want to expose yourself to these people? They are the dumb
money. Smart money doesn't want hobo programmers who are going to work
for a pat on the head.

Please pass around the information that the imbeciles at SPARK expect us
to work for free to impress their imbecile California counterparts.

Now, everyone, please watch this presentation by Mike Monteiro about the
business side of digitial/creative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkLVRt6c1U

--
Alan Gutierrez ~ @bigeasy

Alissa Carpenter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Alissa Carpenter and I am the events manager for Ann Arbor
> SPARK. I wanted to share an exciting opportunity with you as everyone
> copied on this email has been identified as an influencer in the
> hacker/coder community.
>
> SPARK will be hosting a hackathon on April 4th/5th in conjunction with
> NestGSV, an innovation incubator in Silicon Valley. We want to show them
> that Michigan has the talent to compete and bring home some major cash
> prizes when pegged head to head with our California counterparts. What
> we are hoping is that you will be able to share the email invitation I
> am about to send you with your networks.
>
> The email invite will have more details regarding time, registration,
> and theme but if you have any other questions, please feel free to reach
> out.
>
> Any help in spreading the word is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> **
>
> *Alissa Carpenter*
> Events Manager
> Ann Arbor SPARK
> 330 E. Liberty St., Lower Level
> Ann Arbor, MI 48104
>
> Direct: 734.372.4071
>
> Fax: 734.623.8289
>
> Advancing the economy of the Ann Arbor Region
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/coffeehousecoders/CF489538.DF8C%25alissa%40annarborusa.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/coffeehousecoders/CF489538.DF8C%25alissa%40annarborusa.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
This conversation is locked