** Apologies for cross-posting **
** Please forward to anybody who might be interested. **
The Deusto Institute of Technology (DeustoTech)
) from the University of Deusto (Bilbao,
Spain) is looking for a full-time PhD student. The position is offered
in the frame of the Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie COFUND Programme
). The grant will have a duration of 3 years
under a regular employment contract with full social security coverage.
You can find more information about the scholarship here:
* THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS FEBRUARY 24, 2021 *
Transport is a fundamental sector for the European economy. At EU level,
it covers a fairly complex network that includes around 1.2 million
private and public companies, employing around 10.5 million people. This
is why it is a crucial sector of the EU economy: in 2015, it accounted
for about 9 % of total gross added value, 9 % of total employment, and
17.2 % of total EU exports of services were transport-related. However,
transport also generates negative social effects, such as accidents,
greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution, noise and environmental
effects. Overall, external costs due to transport have been estimated at
around 4% of GDP in 2011.
Although transport at EU level presents important challenges to be
addressed, technological advances in areas such as Information and
Communication Technologies or energy storage are revolutionising the
transport and mobility of both people and goods and opening up new areas
of opportunity. Two of the main areas of opportunity are the high
availability of transport data nowadays and the appearance of emerging
mobility solutions (electric vehicles, autonomous and connected
vehicles, micro-mobility, etc.).
This research aims at addressing the previous challenges mentioned by
developing novel Artificial Intelligence techniques that will make it
possible to exploit the areas of opportunity described before. Within
the wide range of Artificial Intelligence methods that can be found
today, in this project we will mainly focus on Machine Learning methods
and optimisation techniques based on Metaheuristics. The researcher will
be supervised by:
Antonio D. Masegosa, Ikerbasque Research Associate, University of
Deusto, Spain (http://paginaspersonales.deusto.es/ad.masegosa/
Andres R. Masegosa, University of Almeria, Spain
* WE OFFER *
- Three years of full-time contract for doing your PhD. The gross annual
salary (not including social security and before taxes) will be
approximately €32.508 per year.
- Allowances for moving (up to €1500 per year), training costs (3000€),
research stays (1500€ + additional funds from the research group
(1500€-2500€ approx.)) and attendance to international conference (1000€).
- A research stay of at least three months at a leading international
- Excellent working conditions.
- Exposure to both academia and the industry in an environment with
multiple H2020 on-going projects.
- Possibility to publish at top journal and conferences in the area of
machine learning, evolutionary computing and transport systems.
- High quality of life in one of the most livable cities
) and regions (https://bit.ly/39CQFt6
- An official Master’s degree in Computer Science, or related field.
- An excellent academic record (grades of B or higher).
- Advanced command of English (minimum Cambridge C1 or equivalent).
- Research experience rule: applicants shall be in the first four years
(full‐time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and
not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Mobility rule: At the time of the relevant deadline for submission of
proposals, researchers shall not have resided or carried out their main
activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3
years immediately prior to the reference date. Compulsory national
service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
For more details about requirements please visit http://shorturl.at/mLPZ9
* CANDIDATE PROFILE *
- Background in computer science, computer engineering, applied
mathematics or related fields.
- Good programming skills and experience in some of the next programming
languages is also desirable: Python, Keras, PyTorch, TensorFlow, R, etc.
- Experience in the application and development of metaheuristics,
machine learning, deep learning or probabilistic graphical models will
be especially welcome.
- Experience in the fields of intelligent transportation systems, travel
behaviour analysis or transport planning will be also welcome.
- Fluency in English, both spoke and written, is expected, along with
good communication and presentation skills.
- Innovative and proactive attitude, and be a good team player.
*PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS*
This call of the University of Deusto is framed in the context of the
6i-DIRS project (for more details:https://bit.ly/3r8ZcK0
). The selection
of candidates will be done in two stages:
- First stage
The applicants should forward their CV and two references to
Antonio D. Masegosa (ad.ma...@deusto.es
) and Andrés R. Masegosa
THE DEADLINE FOR FIRST STAGE APPLICATIONS IS *FEBRUARY 24th, 2020*.
Applicants from the first stage will be evaluated as their submissions
are received and they will be contacted individually as soon as possible
and no later than February 26th, 2021. THE SOONER YOU SUBMIT THE
APPLICATION TO THE FIRST STAGE THE BETTER because in case you are
selected you will have more time to prepare the application for the
- Second stage
The selected candidates will be invited to submit their applications to
the second stage, in which they should follow the guidelines given by
the 6i-DIRS call (see next link:http://shorturl.at/mLPZ9
These candidates will be supported by Antonio D. Masegosa and Andres R.
in the preparation of all the materials required by the 6i-DIRS call,
especially in the preparation of the research project and motivation letter.
THE DEADLINE FOR SECOND STAGE APPLICATIONS IS *MARCH 5th, 2021*.