---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Navnirmiti Learning Foundation <navnirmit...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 1:32 PM
Subject: Fwd: Pune Astronomy Fortnight Feb 1-5, 2015
To: "A. P. Chavan" <apch...@gmail.com
The Pune Astronomy Fortnight (February 1-15, 2015) is a city-wide celebration of astronomy, aimed at both the students and the public, and is coordinated by the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, Pune along with many organisations. As a prelude to the annual meeting of the Astronomical Society of India (to be hosted later in Feb), special sessions in schools and a series of public events are being organised to share the excitement of astronomy with everyone.
All the events listed below and free and open to the public.
Please share widely !
Title : "50 years of radio astronomy in India and way forward"
When : 14th Feb 2015, 6.30 pm - 8 pm
Where : College of Engineering Pune (COEP) Auditorium
6.30 pm : Introduction to "Pune Astronomy Fortnight"
6.40 pm : Prof. Govind Swarup, "History of radio astronomy in India"
7.00 pm : Prof. Jayaram Chengalur, "What is radio astrophysics ?"
7.20 pm : Prof. Yashwant Gupta, "The GMRT, its upgrade and the SKA"
7.40 pm : Question and answer session of the panel with the audience on "Career opportunities in astronomy research"
Public Poster Exhibitions
There will be six exhibitions across the city of a set of posters on Astronomy, the radio sky and telescopes of the future. Those at IISER, Fergusson College and CEOP are in English, whereas the other three are in English and Marathi. The schedule for the observations is :
1. 7th February, Saturday, 2 - 6 pm
IISER-Pune, Dr. Homi Bhabha Road, Pashan
2. 8th February, Sunday, 4 - 8.30 pm
Kamla Nehru Park, near Bhandarka Road, Erandwane
3. 8 to 14 February, 10 am - 5 pm
Pimpri Chinchwad Science Centre, Opp. Auto Cluster. Morwadi, Chinchwad (ph : 32428687),
4. 13 & 14 February, Friday & Saturday, 10 am - 5 pm
Fergusson College, Deccan,
5. 13 & 14 February, Friday & Saturday, 6 - 9 pm
Bhakti Shakti Chowk, Old Mumbai Pune Highway, Nigdi,
6. 11 am - 5.30 pm (following which is the public talk)
College of Engineering Pune (COEP), 14 February, Saturday,
Night Sky Watch with Telescope
1. 7th Feb, 7-10 pm at Kesari Wada, Narayanpeth, to observe Jupiter at opposition (organised by Jyothirvidya Parisanstha)
2. 15th Feb, 7-10 pm at central cricket grounds, IISER-Pune, Homi Bhabha Road,Pashan (organised by Aakashganga of IISER-Pune)
3. 13th & 14th Feb, 6-9 pm at Bhakti Shakti Chowk, Nigdi (organised by Khagol Vishwa)
The Pune Astronomy Fortnight is being organised by the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics along with Jyothirvidya Parisanstha, Khagol Vishwa, astronomy club of College of Engineering Pune, astronomy club of Fergusson College, astronomy club of IISER-Pune, Pimpri Chinchwad Science Centre, PMC and PCMC.