Green Foot - new resource for teaching coding

nrstirzaker

Jan 16, 2013, 5:22:30 AM1/16/13
to coding-...@googlegroups.com

This presentation will show you how to engage young programmers (teenagers from 14 years old upwards, and young adults) with programming in Java. We will show Greenfoot, an engaging, fun-to-use, educational Java environment and give plenty of tips about teaching and motivating kids to code.

If you have kids yourself, or want to help out in your local school, or set up an after school programming club, or anything else that involves teaching beginners to program, then this presentation should contain plenty of tips, ideas and useful information for you.

We will cover technical aspects of coding with Greenfoot, including an introduction to writing computer games in 20 minutes, and plenty of teaching tips. The talk will consist mostly of live demo, including programming with gadgets, such as the Kinect.