Where should my after school club put their web pages?

Mark Chapman

Apr 25, 2012, 2:32:59 PM4/25/12
to coding-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am teaching a small group of years 5-6 web development and they are now theoretically at the point where they can publish their projects (just a work in progress).  I don't have a server myself with any simple uploading (I use heroku and git has not yet been covered, though it might be in a future lesson).  I have spent a while looking at free web sites but they all pretty much force you to use a theme and won't let you run javascript (which is kind of the point, obviously).

These pages (which are present wish lists) are eventually going to be made public to the kid's families so a fairly simple URL would be a bonus, but the most important thing is that they can work on them from home (if they are interested) without me having to be involved.

Any ideas / offers?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Neil Ford

Apr 25, 2012, 3:05:07 PM4/25/12
to coding-...@googlegroups.com

Mark

How quickly do you need this set up and what do you consider easy?

Neil.

--
Coding for Kids
http://codingforkids.org/ @codingforkids

Alice Taperell

Apr 25, 2012, 3:39:23 PM4/25/12
to coding-...@googlegroups.com
My solution in my Y5/6 club is to write my own website (which also serves to demonstrate what is possible), and save the kids' websites in there.
I had to do two things which did cost me, but not an arm & a leg - purchase a domain (www.ourcomputerclub.co.uk), and server hosting.
Nothing fancy, but does the job.

As far as working on things from home, they work on their own files either at school or memory stick (which operate as a self-contained set of files), which I then take a copy of in the club and upload using filezilla.
That's not too difficult.

I'm not sure about kids uploading their own files, probably pushing the boundaries a bit too far for my liking as i feel it is important to ensure content is acceptable.

alice

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:05:07 +0100
Subject: Re: [Coding for Kids] Where should my after school club put their web pages?
From: ncf...@gmail.com
To: coding-...@googlegroups.com

Mark Chapman

Apr 25, 2012, 6:56:06 PM4/25/12
to coding-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that.

Alice you are right, they are always pushing the boundaries with inappropriate content on the pages they do in lessons, so it is probably best that I publish it myself.

Thank you.

Imran Ghory

Apr 25, 2012, 8:06:43 PM4/25/12
to coding-...@googlegroups.com
Why not just use a DropBox public folder ? - it's a very easy way to
host static sites, you just have to drop the files in.

Imran

Steve King

Apr 25, 2012, 8:21:00 PM4/25/12
to coding-...@googlegroups.com
Hey mark,

What kind of pages are they writing? If its static HTML you can even use amazon s3, otherwise I use wordpress for my kids group.

Steve

Mark Chapman

Apr 25, 2012, 8:26:25 PM4/25/12
to coding-...@googlegroups.com
@Imran I tried that (and droppages) but couldn't get it to work.  Maybe I am being stupid but I couldn't see a way to stop it being "helpful" (see attached screenshot).

@Steve Thanks.  Uploading to S3 is a bit of a palaver for a 9 year old (I am still confused unless I use a Firefox addin).

After Alice's comments I am happy with them emailing it to me and me adding it to the git repo and using heroku.

Thanks everyone for responses - don't need any more (unless I am missing something with dropbox).
Screenshot-Dropbox - test.html - Google Chrome.png

Imran Ghory

Apr 25, 2012, 8:36:50 PM4/25/12
to coding-...@googlegroups.com
If it's in your public folder you can right click on it and click "get
public link" (not "view on dropbox website") and you'll get a link
like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11248954/treemap-squared/examples/example-3.html

Which will be to the html file that will get rendered.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Mark Chapman
<mark.c...@reallycare.org> wrote:
> @Imran I tried that (and droppages) but couldn't get it to work.  Maybe I am
> being stupid but I couldn't see a way to stop it being "helpful" (see
> attached screenshot).

Michael Mokrysz

Apr 26, 2012, 12:15:46 PM4/26/12
to coding-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

If you teach them the basics of git then you could use Github Pages (free). You could probably get around even teaching Git by giving them a shell script that just added everything (use the -A option), committed & pushed it.

Best wishes,
Michael Mokrysz