Next dojo - January 14th

Ivan Sanchez

Jan 4, 2009, 2:00:10 PM1/4/09
to coding-do...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The new year has come and it's time to get back to work. We need to
decide the next session's challenge and I'd really appreciate your
participation to chose it. We can do something simple and well known
like Poker hands, Roman numbers, Mine sweeper or you can suggest any
other problem you know. The choice of language is also open if you're
already tired of Ruby ;)

Also, if you want to make to suggest anything else now it's time to
do it. Based on the feedback from the last session I'll make a better
introduction to the dojo to the newcomers and be more strict with the
rules we agree in order to keep the flow during the session.

If you have any thoughts please be quick and answer this e-mail. I'd
like to publish at least the problem description on the Skillsmatter
website before the meeting to give a chance to people outside the list
to be prepared for what's coming.

Ivan

waldo

Jan 5, 2009, 5:30:26 AM1/5/09
to Coding Dojo London
Looks like a whole lot of silent agreement.

greg nwosu

Jan 5, 2009, 7:16:06 AM1/5/09
to coding-do...@googlegroups.com
lol - given that i cannot attend , 14th is Esta's Birthday I feel like I am unable to comment on what language you should use, although if  I was there I would certainly vouch to continue with Ruby ;) - no pain no gain right?

James Shiell

Jan 5, 2009, 7:26:34 AM1/5/09
to coding-do...@googlegroups.com
I'm fond of the approach of making people use tools they're not too
used to. It forces people to slow down and avoid shortcuts and other
tricks that obscure things to those unfamiliar with the tools.

Interpreted languages also have a nice fast turnaround, which Java can
sometimes lack.

Problem-wise, roman numbers sounds good, mostly as I don't know
Poker :-)

Cheers,
James

ChristianJohnsen

Jan 5, 2009, 8:49:29 AM1/5/09
to Coding Dojo London
Poker hands, roman numbers, minesweeper .... I haven't done any of
them previously so any would be good. As for language choice I chime
in with James Shiell: unfamiliar languages levels the playing field =
a good thing.

Im looking forward to attend on the 14th :)
/Christian

Farez

Jan 5, 2009, 9:47:41 AM1/5/09
to Coding Dojo London
Hi all... first timer here. Looking forward to the 14th.

> unfamiliar languages levels the playing field =
> a good thing.

My Ruby knowledge is exactly zero... so it will be a good thing for me
too :)

Farez

Ivan Sanchez

Jan 6, 2009, 3:56:06 PM1/6/09
to coding-do...@googlegroups.com
  Since it seems everyone is happy with any of those problems, let's go with the Roman Numbers:

  http://rubyquiz.com/quiz22.html

  This link contains the problem description and some comments on a possible implementation (Quiz Summary section). Feel free to practice it at home beforehand or go completely fresh to the session. The language will be Ruby as the language itself can be a challenge as well.

  If you guys feel we need to prepare something else before the session let me know.

Ivan

Ivan Sanchez

Jan 9, 2009, 9:58:34 AM1/9/09
to coding-do...@googlegroups.com
  Our session on the Skillsmatter website was update to include the challenge description:

  http://skillsmatter.com/event/agile-scrum/coding-dojo

  Don't forget to register :)

Cheers,

Ivan