Ideas for the next session

1 view

Ivan Sanchez

Dec 5, 2008, 2:52:25 PM12/5/08
to coding-do...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

For our next session, we decided to:
- Have a better introduction to the coding dojo so the newcomers
won't feel lost about the goals and rules (responsible: me)
- Have wireless "generic" keyboard and mouse so people won't
struggle with my macbook (responsible: youDevise)

Is there any other idea you want to see in place for the next
session? If so, it's time to share it!

--
Ivan Sanchez
http://www.isanchez.net

Douglas Squirrel

Dec 7, 2008, 1:05:17 PM12/7/08
to coding-do...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we said we'd bring a wireless keyboard and mouse (which we don't have), just USB. Will that work?

Some ideas that helped us with our initial dojos:
* Clear and posted rules - baby steps, happy path, TDD, even more radical things like "three or fewer parameters per method" or "one dot per line".
* Firm moderation - moderator steps in when we abandon agreed rules, especially baby steps or TDD
* Feed baby-step stories to team on cards - e.g.
"Parse any single digit and output its value"
"Parse any string of digits and output array of values"
and so on

greg nwosu

Dec 7, 2008, 2:50:45 PM12/7/08
to coding-do...@googlegroups.com
Yeah , watching the video I found it difficult to follow the process because the screen showing the coding was not at a high enough resolution. I think that when the dojo is recorded , its better to see the code on the screen, we probably dont even need to see the coders (as pretty as you all are!)

G.

Ivan Sanchez

Dec 8, 2008, 3:08:23 PM12/8/08
to coding-do...@googlegroups.com
Don't know where I got the wireless idea from. USB should work just
fine, but the other mac users here can tell if I'm wrong.

About the other ideas I'll take into consideration as well. It seems
clear we need to make sure everyone understand the rules and if needed
I can enforce them at least on the initial dojos.