Considered being a Summer of Code mentor for CodeWorld?

Chris Smith

Jan 14, 2019, 7:09:54 PM1/14/19
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I wrote up an overview of possible CodeWorld projects for Summer of Code at https://github.com/haskell-org/summer-of-haskell/blob/master/content/ideas/codeworld.md  One thing that would make the list more persuasive is a longer list of potential mentors.  If you'd be interested in being a mentor for Summer of Code this year, let me know and I can add you to that list.  More people on that list makes the organization look more promising to students, and to Google (which still haven't made final decisions on which orgs they will support this year).

I suppose I should say something about what you're volunteering for.  By volunteering as a potential mentor, you'll have the chance to be involved in choosing potential projects to recommend accepting for the haskell.org organization.  Additionally, if a student is selected who you are interested in mentoring, you'll have the chance to work with that student.  The commitment of being a mentor varies widely between students, anywhere from a couple hours per week to review code and give general advice to an advanced student, to 10+ hours for detailed guidance, pair programming, etc for a student who is newer to programming.  (The time commitment and availability of a mentor who is willing to make the commitment is one of the factors we would weigh in matching students with mentors.)  In any case, listing yourself as a potential mentor means you may be contacted by students working on proposals, but you will still have a chance to evaluate individual students and proposals and decide whether you are willing to mentor that project or not.

Again, let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Smith

Jan 21, 2019, 11:19:35 PM1/21/19
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Quick reminder: if you're interested in mentoring a student to work on CodeWorld this summer, let me know.  If you're confident you want to volunteer, you can also skip the talk, and just send a pull request against https://github.com/haskell-org/summer-of-haskell/blob/master/content/ideas/codeworld.md adding yourself as a potential mentor.

Chris Smith

Jan 27, 2019, 4:02:09 PM1/27/19
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Bumping this again.  It's about a week and a half away from the deadline for the Haskell.org organization to apply for Summer of Code.  I've been asked to see if we can find more possible mentors for CodeWorld projects besides just myself.  Having a more deeper community of potential mentors looks better for the organization, and could win us more support in the program.

If you'd like to discuss the possibility, shoot me an email.  If you're ready to list yourself, just send a pull request to modify https://github.com/haskell-org/summer-of-haskell/blob/master/content/ideas/codeworld.md -- remember, you're not committing to a student (in fact, students won't even apply until late March and April).  You are just listing yourself as someone who a student might reach out to about a possible project.  If you're interested in mentoring specific ideas on the list, feel free to move the "potential mentors" part of the page into the individual bullet items.  If you have your own strong ideas for projects (CodeWorld or otherwise), a pull request for those would be great, too.