Timing for updates

Chris Smith

Dec 22, 2018, 10:21:39 PM12/22/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

I am wondering who, if anyone, is currently teaching with CodeWorld besides myself.  There are some updates, and if it wouldn't break anyone's in-progress classes, I'd love to make two changes between semesters so I can try them quicker with a new class of students.  My semester ends Jan 25, but of course different schools are different, so this might interrupt someone else's class.

There's only one immediately breaking change in the bunch: changing the `mixed` function to receive a list of colors, instead of just two colors.

The other fairly intrusive (but not immediately breaking) change would be to remove the experimental warnings on the pattern synonyms (Red, Blue, etc.) for common color names, and to deprecate the existing color variables (red, blue, etc.) with warnings telling students to use the capitalized names.  (The intended messaging here is to tell them that built-in colors like Red, Blue, and so on are values, not variables.  The motivation is to allow these to be used in writing example equations for functions early in my curriculum; writing f(red) = ... doesn't work as intended.)

Anyway, let me know if you're teaching and this would interrupt your class, and I'll wait for summer before updating.

Brooklyn Cook

Dec 23, 2018, 3:00:32 AM12/23/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
I taught three workshops last month but don’t start my class until end of January. Changes would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone