My Google Summer of Code story

Krystal Maughan

Aug 12, 2018, 11:52:41 PM8/12/18
to codeworld-discuss
https://medium.com/@krystal.maughan/breaking-the-space-time-barrier-with-haskell-time-traveling-and-debugging-in-codeworld-a-google-e87894dd43d7

Hi, I'm Krystal. I've been working on CodeWorld for Google Summer of Code. Here's a blog post about my experience and new features I added over the summer!

Chris Smith

Aug 13, 2018, 1:58:16 PM8/13/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Krystal!

If anyone is wondering whether this is worth a look, it is!  I worked with Krystal this summer as a mentor, and what she accomplished is really cool; it's a game-changer for exploring and understanding programs built with CodeWorld.  Now, when you build a drawing or animation, you can play it in fast-forward or in slow-motion.  You can zoom out or in, and scroll around to focus on specific details.  For activities (and simulations and interactions, too), you can get even more features by adding "debug" to your entry point: instead of activityOf, replace it with debugActivityOf (or interactionOf with debugInteractionOf, and so on...)  Now you can not only use fast-forward, slow-motion, and zoom and pan; you can also go back in time and step through what has happened in the past.

If you're teaching with CodeWorld, I'd strongly suggest becoming familiar with these new tools, and pondering how to incorporate them into your teaching.  They take a lot of abstract thoughts about how programs work, and make them more tangible by letting students manipulate them directly.  That's a really powerful thing.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 11:52 PM Krystal Maughan <krystal...@gmail.com> wrote:
https://medium.com/@krystal.maughan/breaking-the-space-time-barrier-with-haskell-time-traveling-and-debugging-in-codeworld-a-google-e87894dd43d7

Hi, I'm Krystal. I've been working on CodeWorld for Google Summer of Code. Here's a blog post about my experience and new features I added over the summer!

Paul Brauner

Aug 14, 2018, 5:13:44 AM8/14/18
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
This looks awesome! Congrats!