Deprecation warnings and updating course materials

Chris Smith

Aug 20, 2019, 2:19:55 AM8/20/19
to codeworl...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

It's that time of year again where I'm looking at deprecations in CodeWorld.  The following exports from CodeWorld have been deprecated for several years:

    text: You should be using lettering instead
    styledText: Similarly, use styledLettering instead
    path: You should be using polyline instead
    thickPath: Similarly, use thickPolyline instead

Because these are still used often, I've delayed their deprecation by another school year.  But I would really like to get rid of them then, especially since they are sitting on valuable variable names (text and path) that students might like to use for their own variables, and students become confused when they encounter deprecated builtin names.

If you still have teaching materials that refer to the text, styledText, path, or thickPath functions, can you please update them so that your students don't learn the wrong names only to have them stop working next summer.

Thanks,
Chris