Only generate frames - no video

Jean-Philippe Caruana

Jul 2, 2008, 12:01:29 PM7/2/08
to codeswarm
it would be great to run codeswarm without movie display, but just for
generating frames : it could go faster on generating results.
how is it possible ? I'd like to help : i ran it on my project, it and
looks great.

Michael Ogawa

Jul 3, 2008, 3:06:50 AM7/3/08
to Jean-Philippe Caruana, codeswarm
With today's graphics cards I don't think rendering is a problem. The
slowness bottleneck comes from the n-body-like physics algorithm.

Michael

Alex Gourley

Jul 3, 2008, 3:12:56 AM7/3/08
to Michael Ogawa, codeswarm
Right, if you're already rendering the PNG, putting it on the screen
doesn't cost very much.

Now, I will take some issue with the statement that the bottleneck is
the physics, because the speed difference between using opengl and not
using opengl is huge. Once we are using opengl, then I will agree that
the physics is the bottleneck. There is a lot we can do there, if we
want. For instance all the n^2 operations between file nodes could be
reduced using techniques any game programmer should be familiar with.

-Alex

Alex Gourley

Jul 3, 2008, 4:07:16 AM7/3/08
to Michael Ogawa, codeswarm
I also just noticed that nodes and edges never seem to be removed from
the nodes and edges arrays.. given the amount of iteration over these
arrays that we do it could be significant. Also are we sure a
CopyOnWrite is the best list to use for this case? The right answer
might change depending on if you delete old nodes/edges... I would
have to look into it.

-Alex

Jean-Philippe Caruana

Jul 3, 2008, 4:21:17 AM7/3/08
to Alex Gourley, codeswarm
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Alex Gourley <acgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right, if you're already rendering the PNG, putting it on the screen
> doesn't cost very much.

can we measure that assumption ?
I have a very slow computer here at work (very poor graphics card) and
I think displaying graphics slows the rendering down.
since I'm not familiar with Processing API, I'd like to know whether
it's is possible or not, or where I should look.

> -Alex

JP

Vaulter

Dec 30, 2009, 4:23:28 PM12/30/09
to Jean-Philippe Caruana, code...@googlegroups.com
I'm running this tool on remote server, with X11 forwarding to local
X.
Rendering is very slow via network, and I just need PNG frames on
server.

On Jul 3 2008, 11:21 am, "Jean-Philippe Caruana"

Vaulter

Dec 31, 2009, 5:51:15 AM12/31/09
to codeswarm
Here is patch for this
http://vaultsoft.ru/node/101

Vaulter

Jan 3, 2010, 11:12:30 AM1/3/10
to codeswarm
One another way

# apt-get install xvfb (zypper install xorg-x11-server-extra)
# Xvfb :2 &
# export DISPLAY=:2
# ./run

This'll let you not need to be connected to an X server while
rendering. You'll still need the X libs on your render machine but you
can render stuff on remote servers without it trying to send over each
frame.