First vs. second rgb value in color assignments

Wirt Wolff

Oct 7, 2009, 12:20:35 AM10/7/09
to code...@googlegroups.com
Greetings. Been having fun experimenting with code_swarm. Thanks for
creating it.

How do the two rgb values assigned to a given regexp work? Been
experimenting some, but so far haven't worked out what determines
which color gets used and when. Both show up in my few test
visualizations, but seemingly arbitrarily. Guess I need to learn
some java and read the source.

regards,

--
wmw

Michael Ogawa

Oct 7, 2009, 1:46:31 AM10/7/09
to Wirt Wolff, code...@googlegroups.com
Both values specify a range in which a random color is chosen for a
file. This is to give the visualization some variety. It is expected
that the two values are fairly close (like red and orange-red) so that
the color still has meaning. This feature can essentially be
overridden by specifying two exact same values.

Michael

Wirt Wolff

Oct 7, 2009, 2:17:09 AM10/7/09
to Michael Ogawa, codeswarm
Excerpts from Michael Ogawa's message of Tue Oct 06 23:46:31 -0600 2009:

> Both values specify a range in which a random color is chosen for a
> file. This is to give the visualization some variety. It is expected
> that the two values are fairly close (like red and orange-red) so that
> the color still has meaning. This feature can essentially be
> overridden by specifying two exact same values.
>
> Michael
>
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Wirt Wolff <wirt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > How do the two rgb values assigned to a given regexp work? Been
> > experimenting some, but so far haven't worked out what determines
> > which color gets used and when.

Thanks Michael. That explains the confusing results. I foolishly made
the colors as different as possible on a commonly matched regexp,
thinking that I'd see a blend or transition from one to the other...
but, hehe, instead it turns out that was asking for a huge range of
possible colors.

thanks again,

--
wmw