Codespeed on app engine / hosted code speed

jjh

Jul 17, 2012, 2:04:47 AM7/17/12
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've never used codespeed but it looks like just the thing for the performance reporting we need to implement.

Ideally, however, we'd like to avoid having to maintain our own django server setup (we have the infrastructure to actually run the performance test and report the results, obviously). Does anyone sell a hosted version of codespeed or a all-in-one VM?

Alternatively, has anyone ever tried to make codespeed run on google app engine? Are the nosql differences likely to be a problem? This would work well for us and app engine can take care of all the authentication (our results are not intended to be publicly available).

Thanks for any help,
Jonny

Miquel Torres

Jul 17, 2012, 4:27:29 PM7/17/12
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't know or think that someone sells a hosted version, that would
be a cool idea. How much do you think you would be willing to pay for
such a service?

I never tried AppEngine with Codespeed, but djangoappengine had
limited functionality, ie "queries can only be executed on one single
model (filters can't span relationships like user__username=...)",
which would definitely prevent Codespeed from working. Maybe the
status of those backends has changed, but it may not even be practical
to implement such JOINs on top of it.

Miquel

Jonathan Hunt

Jul 17, 2012, 6:19:02 PM7/17/12
to code...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miquel,

I definitely can't comment in any definitive way regarding pricing. I
think it would depend on the combination of pricing and features. I
think an easy-to-use version etc could probably command ~ $5-10/month.

We have decided to just bite the bullet and setup our own django
server for now but if such services become available we would be
interested.

Miquel Torres

Jul 18, 2012, 4:34:10 AM7/18/12
to code...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks.

We have been preparing a 1.0 release for a while. One of the things
that needs improvements are the documentation, so any pain points you
find in the installation and deployment would be of interest to us.
Just start a new thread on the mailing list.

Cheers,
Miquel

Frank Becker

Jul 18, 2012, 5:26:16 AM7/18/12
to code...@googlegroups.com

On 18.07.2012, at 00:19, Jonathan Hunt wrote:

Hi,

> We have decided to just bite the bullet and setup our own django
> server for now but if such services become available we would be
> interested.
There are services that offer Django hosting and try to make it as
painless as possible. But I don't have any experience with them.

Bye,

Frank

--
Frank Becker <f...@alien8.de> (jabber|mail) | http://twitter.com/41i3n8
GnuPG: 0xADC29ECD | F01B 5E9C 1D09 981B 5B40 50D3 C80F 7459 ADC2 9ECD

signature.asc

Antonio Cuni

Jul 18, 2012, 6:02:58 AM7/18/12
to code...@googlegroups.com
On 07/18/2012 11:26 AM, Frank Becker wrote:

>> We have decided to just bite the bullet and setup our own django
>> server for now but if such services become available we would be
>> interested.
> There are services that offer Django hosting and try to make it as
> painless as possible. But I don't have any experience with them.

FWIW, I'm having a very good experience hosting a django appliction on unbit:
http://unbit.it/

Jonathan Hunt

Jul 18, 2012, 11:39:38 AM7/18/12
to code...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the helpful advice. We have decided to setup django on an
internal server for now. I will let you know if have problems
installing it.

Frank Becker

Jul 18, 2012, 5:33:43 PM7/18/12
to code...@googlegroups.com

On 18.07.2012, at 12:02, Antonio Cuni wrote:

> On 07/18/2012 11:26 AM, Frank Becker wrote:

Hi,

>> There are services that offer Django hosting and try to make it as
>> painless as possible. But I don't have any experience with them.
>
> FWIW, I'm having a very good experience hosting a django appliction on unbit:
> http://unbit.it/
If you happen to speak Italian :-)

But, I am answering since I found the first Google hit helpful:

http://djangohosting.com/