MariaDB Galera Bootstrap Recovery

Thomas Thai

May 5, 2021, 12:51:05 AM5/5/21
to codership
I searched on Google and GitHub but couldn't find a script to bootstrap during recovery or Galera node start-up. The closest solution I found was OpenStack "Galera cluster recovery.

What suggestions do you have to accomplish the following?

  1. Uses Ansible or shell scripting.
  2. When the cluster goes down, automatically figure out which node needs to be started up first and restart the other nodes accounting for Single-node failure, Multi-node failure, or Complete failure.
  3. Integrates with SystemD init to properly start MariaDB Galera.
Thank you for any suggestions!

--Thomas

Colin Charles

May 11, 2021, 3:51:38 AM5/11/21
to Thomas Thai, codership
hi!

> On 5 May 2021, at 03:48, Thomas Thai <thomas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I searched on Google and GitHub but couldn't find a script to bootstrap during recovery or Galera node start-up. The closest solution I found was OpenStack "Galera cluster recovery."

there is no “one” script to do a bootstrap during recovery, because you can’t quite run a bootstrap if the nodes still have quorum. the documentation from openstack is quite cogent for the various failure modes

> What suggestions do you have to accomplish the following?
>
> • Uses Ansible or shell scripting.

i guess this is something that could be worked on, again, i see that in the openstack docs

> • When the cluster goes down, automatically figure out which node needs to be started up first and restart the other nodes accounting for Single-node failure, Multi-node failure, or Complete failure.
> • Integrates with SystemD init to properly start MariaDB Galera.
> Thank you for any suggestions!

again, nothing quite available per se, out of the box, as you’ll see sometimes there is also a need to look at the grastate.dat file and so on
--
Colin Charles, http://bytebot.net/blog/
twitter: @bytebot | skype: colincharles