How many nodes is too many?

Doug Whitfield

Aug 3, 2021, 1:59:43 PM8/3/21
to codership
Hi folks,

I have seen examples of up to 6 nodes, but we have many different sites, so we are looking at 30 nodes.

Is there a better way to architect this?  Should Galera be able to handle 30 nodes?

Best Regards,
Doug Whitfield

Colin Charles

Aug 18, 2021, 2:22:04 AM8/18/21
to Doug Whitfield, codership
hi!

just because it “can” it probably “shouldn’t”

you’re writing to 30 nodes at said given time, which probably isn’t a good idea, in terms of latency

straight from the faq:

As for the maximum number of nodes, there is none. However, a single cluster in excessive of ten nodes may experience lag from the synchronizing of so many nodes across a network or the internet. This can be mitigated based on your network configuration, but then other factors come into play.

https://galeracluster.com/library/faq.html

so, while there is no explicit maximum number, you definitely do not want 30 nodes in one huge Galera Cluster. to be fair, even after a certain size, you’ll likely want to enable a proxy

hope this helps

cheers,
-c

--