Node fails to join due to redo log created with older backup

micah milano

Feb 24, 2021, 2:43:13 AM2/24/21
to codership

I have a three node galera cluster. I upgraded one node yesterday from 10.3 (Debian buster) galera 3, to 10.5 (Debian Bullseye) galera 4. Things went fine, everything worked.

Today I had to re-create the cluster, and re-do SST for the nodes from the 10.3 as the main donor for the others. The second node, running 10.3 joined and did SST just fine, the one I upgraded to 10.5 is unable to join because once it finishes its SST it complains:

InnoDB: Upgrade after a crash is not supported. The redo log was created with Backup 10.3.27-MariaDB.

and then aborts.

I’ve tried to remove entirely the data directory, and any logs, and re-do the state transfer from scratch, but the same problem happens.

I'm using wsrep_sst_method = mariabackup.

How can I get this one to re-join?

I do plan on upgrading the other nodes, but now I’m a bit scared that I didn’t do something right and if I can’t get this third node introduced into the cluster before I upgrade another node, I may have more issues.

Thank you for any help.