Minetest: Free Minecraft Alternative

Stacy Cunningham

Dec 9, 2014, 5:20:35 PM12/9/14
to coderd...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I notice with a quick search that Minetest has not seemed to have been mentioned in previous discussions. Minetest is like a very basic Minecraft that is more like a base to build upon with mods. The API for mods is built right in, basically just dumping them into a particular folder and then turning them on within the game. These mods use Lua.

Also, it is completely free and works on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

They don't really have much in the way of tutorials to get started modding, other than this, which isn't all that much: http://dev.minetest.net/Intro

I have found the included aspects of the game (basic things like wooden pickaxe, stone sword, etc.) set up in the same way the mods are (it's actually a mod that way, an included mod), which is in the installation directory's games/minetest_game/mods folder. These seem to be a good place to start with figuring out how to make your own, besides what the tutorial and the lua_api.txt: http://github.com/minetest/minetest/blob/master/doc/lua_api.txt

Similarly, people release their own "games" which is basically just a particular bunch of mods together that make for a particular playing environment and setup. As I've said, Minetest is really a sort of base to build upon with mods to be how you'd like.

It's only in the past day or two that I've really taken a look at Minetest and started to tinker with it. I can't say I know too much about it, but I thought it was something worth sharing. With the lack of tutorials, it is something that will take some figuring out, but that can be done with a bit of time and effort by anyone interested.

Enjoy,
--Stacy

Laura Ivers

Dec 10, 2014, 4:46:09 AM12/10/14
to coderd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stacy,

Thanks for sharing this, Minetest looks really interesting.

With your permission I'd like to add this to Kata so that Champions and mentors looking for content will find it.

Can you let me know which Dojo you work with so that I can credit you correctly?

Thanks again for sharing!

Best wishes,

Laura

Laura Ivers
Community Associate
----------------------
CoderDojo Foundation

Hello World Foundation operating as CoderDojo Foundation is a company limited by guarantee not having a share capital with charitable status, CHY 20812. Registered in Dublin, Ireland, No 524255. Registered Office: Dogpatch Labs, 35 Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland.

Stacy Cunningham

Dec 10, 2014, 10:39:57 PM12/10/14
to coderd...@googlegroups.com
Hello Laura,

You're welcome. :) Yes, go on ahead and add it to Kata. I'm from CoderDojo Melvindale.

I think I'll be playing with it some more, and if any more info comes out of it, I'll be sure to share.

Have a good one,
--Stacy

Stacy Cunningham

Dec 11, 2014, 12:25:29 AM12/11/14
to coderd...@googlegroups.com
I just came across this video made by a teacher who uses Minetest in his classroom. It seems to give a good glimpse into what it is and is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Une_A4CEhaw

Enjoy,
--Stacy

Eugene McDonough

Dec 11, 2014, 4:04:30 AM12/11/14
to coderdojo org
Hi Stacy,
As you learn more about Minetest could you add your insight and links to materials used to the new Kata page Laura will create.

Regards,

Eugene McDonough
COO, Community & Events @ CoderDojo Foundation CoderDojo Limerick Co-Founder
T: @eugenemcd @CoderDojoLim @CoderDojo
Skype: eugenemcdonough  G+: eugenemcd  m: +353(0)87 653 7694

Stacy Cunningham

Jan 3, 2015, 8:11:30 PM1/3/15
to coderd...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eugene,

Sure, I can do that.

In the meantime, some in the Minetest community are working on a new tutorial. It's still early on, and although they're not too keen on actually teaching someone Lua, it's pretty nice. I'm keeping an eye on it.

https://rubenwardy.github.io/minetest_doc/

It also includes the lua_api.txt I linked to before, but with all the formatting, it makes for clearer reading.

Happy coding,
--Stacy Cunningham

Eugene McDonough

Peter Wolf

Jan 5, 2015, 2:12:29 PM1/5/15
to coderd...@googlegroups.com
At the next session of CoderDojo Ham (UK) we are starting a new group for mobile games and app development using Gideros Mobile http://giderosmobile.com/. This will involve teaching Lua, so it will be an added incentive for the ninjas to try it if they can also use Lua for Minetest mods :-)