free online course materials on cyber safety and ethics?

Valerie Freitas

Jun 5, 2017, 2:33:30 PM6/5/17
to coderd...@googlegroups.com

We're interested in raising awareness in our ninja members on cyber safety and ethics, both in terms of safe online Internet use and responsible use, e.g. hacking.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Val

Ramesh Sambasivan

Jun 6, 2017, 8:31:57 AM6/6/17
to CoderDojo-worldwide
Hi Valerie -

Hope you are doing well!

This showed up on google's main page today and may have a partial answer to what you are seeking:

I didn't review it beyond the intro video but the resources link has some downloadable content shown in the video. It seems to be a good place to start.

A very valuable and timely topic, so thanks for putting it on everyone's radar screen. Guiding online behavior and preventing mistakes is becoming a critical need to protect kids in today's world.

Have a great summer!  I might be visiting Freemont this summer and it would be great to meet if your schedule permits.

Ramesh

John Harrington

Jun 6, 2017, 12:18:54 PM6/6/17
to coderd...@googlegroups.com

Excellent share, thank a million Ramesh, going to get this to our ninjas  asap.

Regards,

John.

Valerie Freitas

Jun 6, 2017, 4:39:38 PM6/6/17
to coderd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for sharing this! I'd like to meet with you when you're in the area next.

Our dojo has kids K-12 and we're attempting to make cybersecurity learning available for the full range and wanting to be sure we're teaching responsible use and ethics.  This source looks like it might resonate with the younger kids better than the teens.  For the teens I wanted to find the cases involving teens and cyber crime, but old links on the Internet keep referencing DOJ pages that seemed to have been removed, so if anyone finds any links to the legal cases, please let me know.

Val