CoderDojo belts - progression and criteria?

69 vues

Madden, Michael

non lue,
18 avr. 2015, 06:28:5118/04/2015
à coderd...@googlegroups.com

Hi all;

In CoderDojo Athenry, we are working towards our annual award of belts. We have young people who will be receiving their 4th belt and have made progress every year.

There some information on kata but really only for early stages: http://kata.coderdojo.com/wiki/Belts

We have some information on our website about what we have done: https://cdathenry.wordpress.com/?s=belts

We would like our colour progressions and criteria to be in alignment with those of other dojos. Do any of you have links to sources of information on what you are doing?

Thanks,

Michael.

Barry Kennedy

non lue,
18 avr. 2015, 11:57:4418/04/2015
à coderd...@googlegroups.com

Hi Michael,

Over at CoderDojo Limerick this year, we introduced the belt system and while its still a work in progress, its working well so far. We're constantly reviewing it at each iteratiton. I put together an over template for 4 stages (yellow, blue, green and orange). Each stage is progressive and the ninjas need to up their game each time.

Using the template, the mentors in each of our groups put together track specific criteria for each level. We currently have criteria for Scratch (Yellow and Blue), Web Development (Yellow and Blue) and Java (Yellow). If a ninja is working on a project outside these tracks or their project doesn't quiet fit the requirements, he/she can agree a specific challenge with the mentor as per the standard template. The key concept is that is a personal challenge for the ninja so I've tried to make it as broad as possible.

http://www.coderdojomidwest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Belt-Criteria-document.pdf

http://www.coderdojomidwest.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/belt-challenges-2014-2015.pdf

I've tried to avoid specific targets (eg attend 20 sessions, a thousand downloads) and focus on the learning and soft skills (presentation skills, mentoring, planning). We have two periods - one before christmas and then april/may (we held one today and have another on the 9th May to accomodate the number of projects) which leads up to the Coolest Projects. By the end of the term we should have presented 72 yellow belts and 20 Blue Belts.

Again its not perfect and we have a lot to do. After we finish up this term, I'm hoping to get the mentors to come together to review the existing criteria, devise challenges for green/orange. I want to sort out a suitable white belt challenge (foundation level) and see how we can link up with Open Badges. I'll share the updated documents when we're done. If anyone has some suggestions

Regards

Baz

Limerick Dojo

John R Harrington

non lue,
18 avr. 2015, 16:07:1418/04/2015
à coderd...@googlegroups.com

Barry that second one on defining belt challenges is particularly good.

John Harrington

http://www.linkedin.com/img/signature/pic_plastic_cool_26x130.gif

Mobile: +44 748 222 1338

Mobile: +353 86 2518914

Email: jo...@jharrington.ie

www: www.innovatus.ie

IM: John_Harrington (Skype)
http://www.linkedin.com/img/signature/icon_in_blue_14x14.gif http://ie.linkedin.com/in/jharrington1
Follow me on Twitter

Stacy Cunningham

non lue,
18 avr. 2015, 19:34:1318/04/2015
à coderd...@googlegroups.com
Just to throw a different perspective out there, I am interested in implementing one kind of belt at our dojo as opposed to multiple belts of different colors and for different things.

I prefer the ideas of ranking of my favorite ninja story to belts, which includes more than skill and power, but things like leadership. Their one "belt" is more of a symbol of belonging than skill, it bearing a marking of their home. I like that.

I also like the idea of only having white belts as a symbol that we are always beginners. :) Always learning, always something to learn. Allowing a pick of whatever color might be another way to go as well.

But whether to allow anyone to get one or for someone to pass a sort of test first, still figuring that part out. All the same, I think a one-belt-setup is the way we're going. I have other ideas for handling accomplishments and challenges, which seems like something that might tie in well with Open Badges.

To each their own, of course. I thought I might just throw out what we're going for. :) Maybe it might be helpful, maybe not. Maybe it's helpful for someone else.

Enjoy your weekend,
Stacy Cunningham

Bill Liao - European Venture Partner

non lue,
18 avr. 2015, 19:53:0918/04/2015
à coderd...@googlegroups.com
We had the kids in our dojo create the criteria for our belts

One thing we are looking to do is create notches or some other mark on the belts to indicate different Dans or levels in the higher belt Colors for really advanced ninjas

Black belt first dan to 9th dan for instance

Apologies for tiny typo enhancing keys.

www.IndieB.io - opportunity
www.WeForest.org - environment
www.CoderDojo.org - all kinds of awesome

Madden, Michael

non lue,
19 avr. 2015, 06:15:1419/04/2015
à coderd...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for all that, Baz.

From reviewing your documents, it looks like there is a good degree of alignment in our approaches, which is great. Like Baz’s approach, we have broad criteria that are individualised for each topic stream.

To give people a clearer picture of our criteria, I attach:

·        My notes on our belts process – a cobbled-together 2 page doc that I mainly keep for my own information, so not well laid out

·        A presentation from an intro session in 2013/14 in which I summarised criteria for our white, yellow & blue belts (focused on Scratch)

·        A presentation from last year to prep our Minecraft Modders group to start working towards belts – this includes the criteria there.

Michael.