Seeking Feedback - CoderDojo Long Island

Devon L

Mar 17, 2013, 4:41:31 PM3/17/13
to coder-...@googlegroups.com
Tweet: [@CoderDojoLI]
https://twitter.com/coderdojoli/status/313387266057842689

I am looking for feedback on how to best support the growth of this Dojo... here is a funding concept that we could use to support participation by Individuals that may lack access to resources such as laptop computers. I am open to input and ideas of how to better organize this approach.

NoizIvy.org is a Long Island based 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Kickit was built using the PayPal adaptive payments api, and is a beta project directed at educational uses. Via the tax-exempt mission of NoizIvy.org, all "direct-giving" contributions to published projects on this platform will be eligible for use as tax deductible donations on your personal tax returns. We hope this funding efficiency will enable greater empowerment of local projects in need of financial support.

Rebecca Garcia

Mar 18, 2013, 11:23:34 AM3/18/13
to coder-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Devon,

Would love to put you in touch with others who are starting up other dojos in the Long Island area based in schools! In the meantime it might be easier to partner with local schools and computer labs.

Best,
Rebecca

Bob D

Mar 18, 2013, 11:38:02 AM3/18/13
to coder-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rebecca,

We've been talking.  I'm working on getting us some locations and so is Matt.  Some may have computer labs so we may not have to worry about that issue.
I think we really need to focus on finding some meeting places and working on recruiting mentors.  I'm going to a meeting tonight where I should be able to do both.

BD

Devon L

Mar 18, 2013, 11:41:57 AM3/18/13
to coder-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good Rebecca,

I believe you have my email if you want to contact me directly, or we can start profiling efforts here... your call.

You lost me in regards to "what" might be easier... in "partnering with local schools and computer labs"? Getting equipment and supporting costs? Launching the activity of the Dojo on LI? Im interested in your ideas.

Look forward to your feedback... thanks for responding!
Devon

Anjali

Mar 18, 2013, 12:25:27 PM3/18/13
to coder-...@googlegroups.com
Devon,
 Do you think either of the Microsoft Store or Apple store on LI might provide us some meeting space.
I think, Coderdojo LI did start at a Microsoft Store in Huntigton but am not sure what were the hurdles at that time.

Devon L

Mar 18, 2013, 12:33:56 PM3/18/13
to coder-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anjali,
We did, and we tried to extend it but it failed to materialize for a couple reasons.
1. they were just getting started, and the individual in charge of community engagement did a poor job of enabling the relationship other than trying to harvest our student relationships to give attendance to their store opening, and as a means of generating traffic.
2. the space, at least at the time, did not have much flexibility to enable an instructional setting.

There were verbal statements of support, and the desire to even push some community funding at the mission of the Coder Dojo... but again, these were hollow words... so unless some new people are involved over there (MS store specifically)... Im not inclined to put much effort through that route.

But... anyone is free to seek a different outcome.

Anjali

Mar 18, 2013, 12:36:27 PM3/18/13
to coder-...@googlegroups.com
Bob-Devon
 Do you think CableVision/ Newsday might help us in this regards : http://www.cablevision.com/comm_ed/ptl.jsp.

Rebecca - thanks for the good work and showing us the light ... You inspired both me and my husband -Vinay.
thanks

Bob D

Mar 18, 2013, 1:29:18 PM3/18/13
to coder-...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, March 18, 2013 12:36:27 PM UTC-4, Anjali wrote:
Bob-Devon
 Do you think CableVision/ Newsday might help us in this regards : http://www.cablevision.com/comm_ed/ptl.jsp.

Actually PowerToLearn is one of my customers.  We work with a lot of schools together.  The biggest problems with the schools are that they don't necessarily have open Internet access for the public and Matt mentioned something about 80% of the folks that are benefitting need to be local students.

BD