codenode/femhub comparisons

James Casbon

Nov 18, 2010, 5:31:53 AM11/18/10
to femhub, codenod...@googlegroups.com
Hi All (crosspost to femhub/codenode),

I've been looking at femhub, and I think you have done a really good
job. The lack of twisted is a big attraction for me, as this seemed
to make everything a lot harder that it needs to be. Maybe I'm just
too thick to deal with all those deferreds. Tornado seems nice and
simple in comparison.

One thing I'd like to get clear from the start is the license for
femhub. As I understand it, there is some shared history between
codenode, femhub and sage? Anyway, I filed a bug asking you to make
this explicit.

The downside for me is extjs. This is simply a matter of taste, but I
don't like the extjs frontend because it attempts to emulate a desktop
interface. This now leaves me thinking that I may (license allowing)
port the codenode frontend to work with the femhub backend. This way
we will at least be able to share the efforts on the backend, while I
can focus on the frontend as I see it. Since it is a JSON-RPC
interface this shouldn't be too hard.

James

Pavel Solin

Nov 18, 2010, 5:29:35 PM11/18/10
to codenod...@googlegroups.com, femhub
Hi James,

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:31 AM, James Casbon <cas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All (crosspost to femhub/codenode),
>
> I've been looking at femhub, and I think you have done a really good
> job.  The lack of twisted is a big attraction for me, as this seemed
> to make everything a lot harder that it needs to be.  Maybe I'm just
> too thick to deal with all those deferreds.  Tornado seems nice and
> simple in comparison.
>
> One thing I'd like to get clear from the start is the license for
> femhub.  As I understand it, there is some shared history between
> codenode, femhub and sage?  Anyway, I filed a bug asking you to make
> this explicit.

We are now in the process of creating a license file clarifying what code
was taken from whom and which license it uses. Regarding the license
of the code that we wrote, we need more time to decide (at most a week
hopefully). But we already agreed that the Javascript + HTML UI part will
be BSD.

Pavel

--
Pavel Solin