The current state of Codenode Re: [codenode-devel] zope.interface and other newbie questions

1 view

Alex Clemesha

Mar 18, 2010, 4:05:12 PM3/18/10
to codenod...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:53 AM, gary_p <gary....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask:
This is definitely the right place to ask :)

> 1.  What is codenode?  Is it the notebook part of sage with the math
> removed? (The reference to sage on the homepage confused my little
> brain.)

Codenode is a pure Python web application that allows "programming
interactively, in a web browser".
It is a "generalized" notebook, that run can many "backends", like
Python or Sage, etc.

Sage is math software, that comes with a notebook. The Sage notebook
is pretty similar from
first glance to Codenode, but is pretty different behind the scenes,
and is coupled to Sage (in practice).

There is also Sympy Gamma, which is another notebook, being produced
by the Sympy devs.

There is also a notebook from http://femhub.org, that is referred to
as a "online lab", and is
a mixed of the Sage Notebook / custom patches / and maybe other stuff,
I'm not sure.

There was a Ipython Notebook, but that seems to have died a while back.

--

The aim of Codenode is to make a "generalized notebook" that could be
used by all these

The above projects have been going on for several years, and there is
tons of repeated work, and
it is a mess, in general. Here in lies the world of open source :-)

There has not been significant work on Codenode recently, as the main
people involved are
finding it very hard to balance working on such a large/ambitious
project right now with other commitments.
On one hand, this makes me very sad that I can not spend all my time
on Codenode, but thus is life.
I hope to return to working on Codenode when I can.

My recommendation is to focus on the Sage notebook right now, it is
the most usable.

-Alex

--
Alex Clemesha
clemesha.org

Ondrej Certik

Mar 19, 2010, 7:45:36 PM3/19/10
to codenod...@googlegroups.com

Too sad, that you don't have time to work on it. In my experience, one
has to use the project for the daily research, otherwise it's hard to
develop it in the long term.

Ondrej