New improvements, and easier pip install Re: pip + virtualenv: excellent for codenode usage - and python projects in general

Alex Clemesha

Aug 4, 2009, 4:23:52 AM8/4/09
to codenod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wanted to update this thread on installing via pip and virtualenv,
aimed mainly at those who want to try the latest improvements very easily.
I'll also mention a couple new improvements, with some screenshots.

Installing the latest codenode
---------------------------------------
1) get pip and virtualenv:
$ easy_install pip virtualenv

2) make a clean virtualenv for the latest codenode:
$ virtualenv --no-site-packages codenode_env

3) Install codenode from the core git repository:
$ pip -E codenode_env install -e
git://github.com/codenode/codenode.git#egg=codenode

Now you can try the latest codenode as usual, and when you are done trying it,
you can just type "rm -rf codenode_env" and *every trace* of what you installed
will be gone. No lingering hidden files, no dependency mismatches
later, etc. It's good stuff.

Some recent improvements
-------------------------------------
In the latest codenode there is nice new "Revision History" functionality,
which I have attached 2 screenshots of, one showing the notebook, and the other
is the "Revision History / Revert" page for that notebook.

Also, in the latest codenode, you can find the clean new human-readable notebook
url functionality by James, which gives the *option* to use the nice
urls if desired, but
remains transparent to a regular user who may have several notebooks
with the same
title, etc.

Finally, a new release will be happening soon such that you can just type
"easy_install codenode" and get the latest from PyPI. This will happen in
about a week. For now, go try the pip+virtualenv install!

-Alex

--
Alex Clemesha
clemesha.org