Codenode for business?

alessio

Apr 7, 2011, 3:23:28 AM4/7/11
to codenode-devel
Hello,

I am trying to create a django application to visualize data (graphs
and plots). Basically, this would be a solution to reduce the use of
excel and power point (which is killing me).

The way I thought of it would be to allow special users to create
notebooks. Normal users would only see the outcome, not the python
code then. You can see that with codenode cell flexibility, this could
easily provide a tool to create web reports (graphs and tables).

What do you think about this idea? Someone could give me some advices?

Alex Clemesha

Apr 7, 2011, 3:38:42 AM4/7/11
to codenod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

How complex are you data visualization needs?

If they are relatively simple, I would definitely use something like:
http://code.google.com/p/flot/
or
http://www.highcharts.com/
or some similar package frontend javascript package...

-Alex

alessio

Apr 7, 2011, 8:10:11 AM4/7/11
to codenode-devel
Hi,

my needs are more complex then that. It is not about the plot itself,
which can be produced also with matplotlib. The problem is that I need
different reports to be based on the same data. Those have also to be
"dinamic" reports, easy to change (and that is why the interactive
notebook triggers me).

Basically, also comparing codenode with sage, I need to: 1) be able to
manage users (some can code, some cannot); 2) be able to handle the
worksheet in order to generate reports (Sage has a nice print
function, but still it doesn't fit my needs); 3) be able to allow some
users to input (filters, choises, grouping, etc.).

Also, I may need to change the behavior of output cells. For example,
an output cell with a graph will allow graph download, an output cell
with a grid will allow excel download, etc.