app does not install on iPhone - install button has no result

Craig Lang

Mar 19, 2015, 5:02:22 PM3/19/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com

Just re-built my app for iOS debug and attempted to install the debug version on my iPhone 4S.
Build was successful on the server and when I did the scan the QR Scanner app got the URL correctly, etc...
However, when I selected the Install button on the corresponding URL screen, nothing happened.

I would have expected it to at least show installing icon, and if that failed, then I should somehow see it error out.
However, I didn't get the app icon on the iPhone screen at all.

Note: It runs correctly on the simulator. I can download and install my app on an Android. It is only on iOS where the problem seems to exist.
I can also download and install other apps, such as the ToDo app and the HelloWorld, just fine on my iPhone.
I'm assuming there is an error somewhere in the iOS properties for that app.
Is there a way to tell the reason if the install on the iPhone doesn't occur correctly?

Using Eclipse with Windows 8.
iPhone 4S with iOS version 8.2.

Thanks,
Craig Lang

Shai Almog

Mar 20, 2015, 12:30:47 AM3/20/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
That's unrelated to the new website since the QR referrers directly to the previous website/install process and hasn't changed at all.
iOS no longer minimizes the app during install and might install the app in one of the pages in the background without you feeling it.
If nothing at all happened or install seems stuck (constantly filling out the icon and restarting) then its one of the problems listed here or in the comments: http://beta.codenameone.com/blog/ios-code-signing-fail-checklist.html

mall...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2015, 1:08:13 PM3/20/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com

FWIW,  I've seen this problem surface periodically, and I'm well past the possible causes mentioned in the blog entry or it's comments.
Assuming you've already covered the items mentioned in that blog entry/comments, you may have luck with what I do:

1) If you already have a previous version of the app installed, uninstall it, then try the install again.  (sometimes this does the trick, sometimes it doesn't).

2) If (1) doesn't do it, back up the device (local iTunes or iCloud), reset the device, restore from backup, then try the install again.   It's annoyingly time-consuming, but it frequently solves these odd-ball hidden meta-data related problems.

Shai Almog

Mar 21, 2015, 12:57:18 AM3/21/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com, mall...@gmail.com
What you are describing sounds more like this iOS 8 but: http://www.codenameone.com/blog/ios-8-installs-customizing-the-pull-to-refresh
Its unrelated to Codename One and happens to Objective-C apps too.