Developing for Windows Phone using Java

waba...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2013, 4:50:58 AM10/25/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am brand new to the whole "CodenameOne" idea ad just need some clarification on how it works.
As you can see by the title I have done a little android development and I was thinking of buying a Windows Phone when I saw this page.
SO my question is, how would I go about loading it into windows phone? Is it the same as developing for android only you push it to different platforms?
Thanks,

Will

cub...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2013, 6:26:43 AM10/25/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com, waba...@gmail.com
Hi Will,

Not exactly. Although Codename One (CN1) apps are written in Java, the framework makes use of its own set of APIs etc, abstracting away from platform specifics.

Apps are then built/compiled on the Codename One servers. These servers return the installable application, depending on what platform you selected for the specific build.

So, for example, if I right-click on my project in Netbeans, then select 'Send Windows Phone build', the Codename One build server will compile my Java code, and send back an installable app (in this case a .XAP file).

Cheers

Shai Almog

Oct 25, 2013, 12:28:44 PM10/25/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com, waba...@gmail.com, cub...@gmail.com
Hi,
I would highly recommend avoiding Windows Phone until MS gets their act together. Its the most awful platform to develop on (worse than blackberry).

waba...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2013, 3:27:51 PM10/25/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com, waba...@gmail.com, cub...@gmail.com
Thanks, that has cleared up a lot.

Gareth Murfin

Oct 25, 2013, 6:13:38 PM10/25/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com, waba...@gmail.com, cub...@gmail.com
lol Shai, does this mean if we ask your server for a win build it wont work? If so then whats the worry.. I agree tho we need to forget blackberry as a lowest common denominator it is a total killer - earlier i spoke to my client (who happens to be from SA here BB still holds 40+% of the market [SIGH]) we sooke about excluding "nice" features from the BB build which leads onto my next question nicely,

can we do #IFDEF BLACKBERRY

OR do we check package names to detect platform, OR do you never expect anyone to need to do this...

Shai Almog

Oct 26, 2013, 3:13:30 AM10/26/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com, waba...@gmail.com, cub...@gmail.com
My recommendation was to avoid purchasing the device, its just awful in terms of development and the only device that doesn't allow for OTA installs.

There is no need to do ifdef anything, if you want something that's platform specific you can always use native code.