Is testing on real devices supported in CN1?

sidiabale

Mar 18, 2015, 11:41:25 AM3/18/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does CN1 offer the option to execute test cases created with the test recorder on real devices in the cloud and not just on the CN1 simulator? I recall reading something about that being possible for enterprise users. What's the current status also for other subscription levels?

Thanks

Shai Almog

Mar 19, 2015, 2:24:49 AM3/19/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
no.
You can build for devices but running unit tests on devices starts at the professional subscription level.

sidiabale

Mar 19, 2015, 7:54:21 AM3/19/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Can you provide more information about this service as I can't find enough info (e.g. on http://www.codenameone.com/comparison-chart.html where the service is mentioned) to properly evaluate it:
  • What devices are currently supported?
  • Are there any quotas or limitations on the number of tests and/or target devices?
  • What's the output of test runs: Test results + screenshots? More?
  • Regarding the pro license, I see that there's an annual and a monthly version. What are the conditions for termination? Suppose I get a monthly pro license, can I downgrade to basic or free at any time and possible upgrade back to pro later?
I know I've asked multiple questions in one but kindly try to respond to each one :)

Thanks!

Shai Almog

Mar 19, 2015, 11:47:13 AM3/19/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
notice that the tests are executed by you on your devices. The test build simply allows you to package your tests to the device they don't connect to a testing facility.
This is a feature we'd like to add and actually discussed with some companies who provide such facilities, but there hasn't been enough demand for that.

All devices that we support should work for testing too although our core focus is in iOS/Android.
There are no limits that we impose artificially if you have a paid account. There are some limits on the size of distribution imposed by the build server architecture and by device limitations. E.g. 50mb binary size would probably fail.
You can cancel any subscription at any time, annual subscription is paid in advance so canceling it will not refund your purchase but will not charge you automatically next year. The monthly subscription can be canceled and when it expires you can purchase a basic subscription or revert to free.

sidiabale

Mar 20, 2015, 6:10:43 AM3/20/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shai,

Thanks for the clarification.

It's a pity that cloud testing has not gotten enough traction yet to be implemented. I think that's the future for mobile testing as it's impractical and wasteful for a developer to locally test all target devices. What you have already is a first step. I hope the next natural step  toward cloud testing yourselves or integration with a third-party takes place in the near future.