AbsoluteLayout

Klaus

Sep 28, 2013, 6:42:31 AM9/28/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
is it possible to switch off layout managers in ResourceEditorApp
 for free positioning  to do something like AbsoluteLayout in javax.swing?
thank you
Best regards
Klaus

Trupti Dalia

Sep 28, 2013, 7:30:51 AM9/28/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com

Klaus,

    You can create layout on your own i.e. code it. Their are couple of ways to  achieve the same :
  1. Create a blank form in GUI buider, add Before * event to the form and write code to design the layout in that event.
  2. Create form on your own and call, handle events, navigation etc all on your own coded. Check source code of FBDemo, MapsDemo, DBDemo & KitchenSink. They all creates application and form full coded and NO GUI builder used.
I think for you the 1st option might be preferred. You will get layout of your style + app will handle events, navigation easily without you have to code for the same.

Hope this helps.

Klaus

Sep 28, 2013, 10:30:05 AM9/28/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com

thank you. I' ll try the Before Show-Event and hand coding . in most cases layoutManagers work very good for my needs.
But it would be beautiful sometimes, if absolute layout were available in the drag&drop-Designer without hand coding..

Shai Almog

Sep 28, 2013, 3:07:49 PM9/28/13
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
The devices differ too much in terms of DPI up to 3x, 4x differences in pixel density. You cannot do anything meaningful with absolute layout and still be portable.

We are looking at more elaborate layout managers that would allow smarter positioning but currently this was not mentioned as a priority by any of our pro/enterprise accounts.