[Announcement] Push it via Parse! Parse4CN1 now supports push notifications for Android, iOS and Windows Phone for free*

sidiabale

Oct 21, 2015, 7:40:06 PM10/21/15
to CodenameOne Discussions
Hi,

After several weeks of hard work, I'm extremely thrilled to announce to you that as of v2.0 released a few minutes ago, parse4cn1 now supports push notification services provided by Parse.com for Android, iOS and Windows Phone! Yes, you heard even the last part right - Windows Phone!

What's more, Parse push via parse4cn1 can be integrated in Android and iOS apps at all CN1 subscription levels (so including free users!); Push on Windows Phone requires a basic subscription (for the 'include sources' feature) and a Visual Studio to recompile.

What are you waiting for? Get started right away: https://github.com/sidiabale/parse4cn1/wiki/Push-Notifications-Overview and remember to share your experiences and/or questions here.

Cheers

PS: I'm loving the CN1 platform and have great respect for the developers. So it's definitely not my intention to interfere with their business/cash flow via subscriptions. If you already have a pro account; please keep it even if you switch to push notifications from Parse. If the "lights go out at CN1", we'll all suffer so keep that in mind.
ParseTestApp-Android-Main-Page.jpg
ParseTestApp-iOS-Push-Example.jpg
ParseTestApp-WP-Push-Example.jpg

Steve CN1 Hannah

Oct 21, 2015, 10:11:54 PM10/21/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Well done!

Steve Hannah
Software Developer
Codename One

sidiabale

Marco Gioia

Nov 18, 2015, 1:08:19 PM11/18/15
to CodenameOne Discussions
Hi,
congratulations for your job!

I'm looking to implement it in my app, but I'm having some problems, I hope you can help me.
I'm trying to follow this guide :
to set up a really basic implementation.
What I want is to show the text of my notification in every case, app running (fore/background) or not. If not running, the app is opened by clicking the notification.

I succesfully imported the CN1AndroidApplication.java file in my project, and from the parse.com site I checked that my android device is registered correctly.

Now I'm trying to implement the CN1ParsePushBroadcastReceiver, but I don't understand how can I do this :

Set the required permissions

Add the following permissions required for Parse push to the AndroidManifest.xml via the android.xpermissions build hint

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.VIBRATE" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.GET_ACCOUNTS" />
<uses-permission android:name="com.google.android.c2dm.permission.RECEIVE" />
<!--
  IMPORTANT: Change "your.app.package.name" in the lines below
  to match your app's package name.
-->
<permission android:protectionLevel="signature"
    android:name="your.app.package.name.permission.C2D_MESSAGE" />
<uses-permission android:name="your.app.package.name.permission.C2D_MESSAGE" />

Like, -sorry for looking stupid but I know nothing about this-, I simply cannot "physically" insert a build hint that long (after the proper edit with my package name, of course).
Same for the one in the previous chapter of the guide.

Thank you :)

Chidiebere Okwudire

Nov 18, 2015, 3:33:32 PM11/18/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com

Hi Marco,

Nice to see that you're trying Parse Push out!

What problem exactly do you have with adding the build hint? I use the Netbeans plugin and there copy + paste + Enter works just fine. At the bottom of the page you referred to, there's also a link to a CN1 blog post on how to add build hints. Did you check that out?

If you can elaborate more on the problem, I'll be glad to help you how ever I can.

Cheers

Message has been deleted

Marco Gioia

Nov 18, 2015, 4:01:14 PM11/18/15
to CodenameOne Discussions
I use Eclipse 4.4.0
I can't copy paste that!
This is what happens. Basically I can paste only the first line.
The form used to add is this : http://puu.sh/lqlra/784230f6ba.png
Is my IDE bugging or simply CN1 on Eclipse doesn't expect an hint to be that long?

sidiabale

Nov 19, 2015, 4:16:38 AM11/19/15
to CodenameOne Discussions
Hi Marco,

I see the problem: Line breaks! You should remove them and make the entire block one line. It doesn't look pretty but it will still be valid XML. Apparently, Netbeans automatically does that conversion but not Eclipse. I'll update the wiki accordingly.

PS: Removing line breaks is pretty easy with Notepad++ (Edit >> Blank Operations >> EOL to Space)