Editor hangs computer

xip.so...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2014, 8:22:59 PM4/12/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Grettings!

Ever since i started using Code Name One, at random intervalls, putting Containers in Containers in the gui editor, would hang the editor so badly that I would be forced to kill the process, witch in turn crashes Java runtime.

Its not a big deal, since I don't use the editor for anything serious.
I write everything with code and only use the gui editor to try around with layout and properties to get a feel of how things would look.
But of course, I rather it didn't hang so i could prototype more efficient.

I have been trying to recreate the problem, but is unable to do so -.-
As far as i know, I didn't do anything special, just draged a container from the palette to the container tree bellow.

Have anyone else had these problems? any workarounds? is there a fix planned anytime soon?

I was working on a Intel i5 Laptop with x64 Windows7.

xip.so...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2014, 8:58:37 PM4/12/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com, xip.so...@gmail.com
update:

I manage to hang the editor again, this time by dragging a container from inside a container to a different container.
But like the last time, I was unable to recreate this phenomena to.

It seems like a very random problem, I'm sorry I cant give you any more specifics on how to create the problem :(

Shai Almog

Apr 13, 2014, 1:49:40 AM4/13/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com, xip.so...@gmail.com
Thanks.
You can run the designer from the command line and see if you get a stack trace but I'm not sure its something fixable.
We get some things such as recursive calls to getAbsoluteX() etc. which makes no sense.

The crux of the issue is that the designer is written in Swing and violates the EDT by design, since you need to either violate the Swing EDT or ours to prevent constant deadlocks between the two.
We have plans to replace this tool completely with a more modern tool written on top of Codename One itself.