Android LocationManager Implementation .. coarse provider?

Jeff Crump

May 8, 2014, 5:15:08 PM5/8/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if the Android implementation of the LocationManager has a coarse service provider?

On a native Android app I would start a series of location listeners. One would listen for a fast but inaccurate (1km) location (cell tower/WiFi), then as time progresses I would use the slower but more accurate(10m) location data for something else.

Codename One's iPhone LocationManager seems to do this, but the Android implementation seems to only use the GPS provider.

Shai Almog

May 9, 2014, 1:29:57 AM5/9/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
The Android version tries to be smarter than just using the GPS but currently it isn't smart enough.
We would like to migrate to the new Google play API's in the internal implementation which should provide functionality more similar to the iPhone implementation where the device just "does the right thing".
There is no schedule for this work at the moment though.