Preparing a MOOC on creating apps for beginners, using Netbeans - what should I anticipate with CodeNameOne?

clementl...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2015, 10:27:04 AM1/26/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I am a professor in a a business school and a java developer using Netbeans. I plan to create a MOOC for complete beginners (non coders), teaching them how to code while creating an app. The MOOC will open in September 2015. I hesitated between using Android Studio and NBAndroid, the plugin developed for Netbeans.

Now I discover CodenameOne, and it seems to be a better tool: not only to create Android apps, but it complies to iOS too. Great!

To clarify, the app the students will be is working on is a simple UI where the user inputs their movie preferences with drop down menus. Then, every week the app connects to imdb.com and downloads suggestions of movies from the new releases. That's all.

My question to you: before embarking on choosing codename one, is there anything you'd like to flag, in terms of difficulties I should I anticipate with this platform? (or awesomeness!!). Anything that comes to your mind really. Once I commit to one platform, I can't really go back, so this round of collection of information is important...

Thanks for your help!

Clement

Shai Almog

Jan 27, 2015, 1:33:24 AM1/27/15
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com, clementl...@gmail.com
Hi,
sounds interesting. The only problem I can see is that Codename One might be too easy and hide some of the "learning experience" when it comes to mobile development.
If you need help in the process let me know.
Did you see this guide I made both on youtube and udemy: http://www.codenameone.com/blog/build-mobile-ios-apps-in-java-using-codename-one-on-youtube