Full custom graphics rendering

jdsali...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2014, 1:55:51 PM7/21/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Hi All-

We currently have an Eclipse/SWT OLAP data modeling application, and would like to bring a simplified part of this application into the web.  We see Code Name One as reasonable means to bring our application into the web considering we do not have any HTML/CSS developers.  If we do decide to take this approach, we would purchase several enterprises licenses.  There are a number of unique challenges I see in this process:
  • Lack of support for external libraries
  • Extremely limited JRE feature support
Ultimately, I feel as though these challenges are manageable.  What concerns me is the graphics support.  Since our table is so highly customized, it would not be possible to use any of the standard components provided by CN1.  Instead, the entire visualization would have to be done through the Painter class

Since we do not have any experience with CN1, I would like to get a general feel/reaction to our proposed use of the Painter.
  • Will we run into any challenges by not using any components?
  • From a performance standpoint, will the application be able to keep up with the number of paint requests?
  • What (if any) are your concerns to an approach like this?
Thanks,

Joseph Carroll

Steve Hannah

Jul 21, 2014, 4:06:26 PM7/21/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com

Currently codename doesn't have a web/HTML port so might not be your best choice for bringing your app to the web.  Codename one is for creating native mobile apps.  Not web apps.

Steve

jdsali...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2014, 4:34:52 PM7/21/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply Steve.  We are not interested in generating a web/HTML application, something I should have been more clear about.  Our primary interest is leveraging our existing developer resources.  So Codename One generating a 100% native application is a perfectly viable option.

My concern is that the focus of the project is component based or "widget" based to use an SWT concept, and not a drawable application.  There doesn't seem to be much (if any) emphasis on rendering the entire UI through the Paint class.  So I am trying to determine if drawing the entire UI through the Paint class is even possible.  And if it is possible, is it a practical solution that will perform well.

Sorry for my misleading post.

Thanks,

JD

On Jul 21, 2014 10:55 AM, <jdsali...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Steve Hannah

Jul 21, 2014, 4:51:17 PM7/21/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com

Cn1 uses lightweight components primarily where everything is painted on to a canvas.   If you want to paint your own ui you could just extend Component and override paint().

Steve

Shai Almog

Jul 22, 2014, 1:40:51 AM7/22/14
to codenameone...@googlegroups.com
To further state what Steve mentioned. You don't need to use the painter class.
You can just derive component and override paint to draw everything from scratch and place that component into the form.

Unlike desktop where this is trivial to do, mobile is far more fragmented, fragile & performance sensitive so we discourage this path. However, its a viable approach especially now with the new graphics pipelines for iOS/Android.