[POLL] Do you rely on gwt:compile's staleness check?

Thomas Broyer

Nov 28, 2014, 6:07:11 AM11/28/14
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Do you rely a lot on gwt:compile's staleness check to skip compilation when it thinks the output is up-to-date?

In light of https://github.com/gwt-maven-plugin/gwt-maven-plugin/issues/108, I'm wondering if we shouldn't just remove the check and let people explicitly skip the compilation when needed.
The alternative would be to have distinct output directories for gwt:run/gwt:run-codeserver and gwt:compile, but that would equally break a lot of people.

Juan Pablo Gardella

Nov 28, 2014, 7:04:55 AM11/28/14
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
I do agree, remove the check.

Sean Flanigan

Nov 28, 2014, 7:14:38 AM11/28/14
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
I do rely on the staleness check.  If I want a deployable build, I make it a clean build.

Separating the output directories does seem like the cleanest solution, if things are going to be breaking anyway...

Danilo Reinert

jieryn

Nov 28, 2014, 10:28:47 AM11/28/14
to odehaus Mojo gwt-maven-plugin Users
We do rely on the staleness check. It saves anywhere from 6-12 minutes
on various projects. GWT compilation is already the bottleneck for our
continuous build process, even with compilation skipping (due to
m-war-p overlay processing). To see that price paid each and every
build... oh my.

Kay Pac

Nov 29, 2014, 3:45:22 PM11/29/14
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
I do rely a lot on it to avoid unneeded recompilation, but I just as often (or maybe more often) force recompilation when it isn't necessary. I would definitely miss it, and I'm not sure if removing it would be the solution I would pick to issue 108. I'm not steeped in the details of any of this, however, so it remains up to you and the rest of the community.

Thanks for your service!

Kay

phine...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2014, 2:11:55 PM12/11/14
to codehaus-mojo-gwt-...@googlegroups.com
Ideally, I'd like the staleness check to still exist, but be reliable.

But given that I saw the same issue on GAE referenced by this post, I understand the argument for removing it, particularly if getting the staleness check right is NP-hard.