Does Cargo follow semantic versioning (semver)?

as...@atlassian.com

Oct 22, 2020, 9:10:50 PM10/22/20
to Codehaus Cargo
I'm considering an upgrade from Cargo 1.6.10 to the latest version (currently 1.8.2). Are there any API breakages along the way, or does Cargo adhere strictly to semver?

Andrew

S. Ali Tokmen

Oct 23, 2020, 4:16:39 PM10/23/20
to codehau...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew

Codehaus Cargo does indeed remain mostly compatible - But we don't have any stricy adherence to any checkers or standards.

Regards

S. Ali Tokmen
http://ali.tokmen.com/
http://contact.ali.tokmen.com/
On 23.10.20 03:10, as...@atlassian.com wrote:
I'm considering an upgrade from Cargo 1.6.10 to the latest version (currently 1.8.2). Are there any API breakages along the way, or does Cargo adhere strictly to semver?

Andrew

S. Ali Tokmen

Oct 23, 2020, 4:49:01 PM10/23/20
to codehau...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew

Perhaps, on the versioning convensions: Codehaus Cargo 1.6.x would require Java 6 and above, 1.7.x Java 7 and above and 1.8.2 requires Java 8 and above. The associated Apache Ant, etc. dependencies also change as described on https://codehaus-cargo.github.io/cargo/Installation.html.

I'm hoping this helps, please do let us know how your changes go!

S. Ali Tokmen

Nov 5, 2020, 12:57:15 AM11/5/20
to codehau...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew

The Codehaus Cargo 1.8.3 might be getting closer to a release.

Have you started the upgrade wotk to 1.8.2 yet? Is there anything you observed that shall be fixed, which we could include in 1.8.3?

Please advise

Andrew Swan

Nov 5, 2020, 1:14:27 AM11/5/20
to codehau...@googlegroups.com
Nope, we're going to attempt this upgrade next week. I'll let you know if I discover anything untoward.

Cheers,

Andrew

S. Ali Tokmen

Nov 17, 2020, 6:24:30 AM11/17/20
to codehau...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew

Excellent - Thank you!

As an FYI: the current plan would be to release Codehaus Cargo 1.8.3 somewhere between 10 and 13 December 2020, as the GlassFish 6.0.0 release is planned 10 December 2020.

Andrew Swan

Nov 17, 2020, 5:35:24 PM11/17/20
to codehau...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, the 1.6.10 -> 1.8.2 upgrade seems to have gone without a hitch.

Thanks for the work that went into this.

Cheers,

Andrew

S. Ali Tokmen

Nov 21, 2020, 10:35:14 AM11/21/20
to codehau...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andrew

Excellent news - Thanks for your good work as well!

In 2 weeks version 1.8.3 should be out as well, hopefully with an equally easy migration path.